Meet little Bumble Bee - Indian Star Hatchling

Lil-Star

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Meet little bumble bee and share her first steps, it's such tiring work hatching out of an egg and then having to walk yourself to the nice warm basking spot!

The first of 3 eggs to hatch after 85 days from my first ever long awaited clutch - I am such a proud mummy :D

With temperatures ranging from 30.8 - 31.8 is there a more likely sex or would that be on the border line to any experienced breeders with temp controlled sex prediction out there (i was aiming for female but wary of setting it too high)?

Many thanks, Jo xxx

Attachments

• BB1.jpg
    BB1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 278

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
How wonderful! LOVE the name Bumble Bee. Very fitting! Concrats on a job well done.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats and well done.

I don't know that anyone knows the tipping point for incubation temps for stars. The only species that I am sure has been studied and is known for sure is the sulcata. For sulcatas 30.8 would give you a mix and 31.8 would likely be mostly females. This assumes your thermometers are very accurate and incubation temps were consistent all the way through. It might be a little different for stars.

Lil-Star

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks everyone :)

And thanks Tom, i am just waiting now for the other 2 eggs to hatch, with the dragons as the first egg pips we add water around the substrate with a syringe but i am wary to touch these especially now 1 has hatched successfully with no such intervention.

Lil-Star

5 Year Member
UK
First hatched on day 85, second on day 87, it's now day 94 and the 3rd shows no change.

Any word from those with more experience on wether this is normal?

Cynthia

5 Year Member
Look how little and round!! Such a cutie!! Congratulations!!

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have had Indian and and Burmese Stars hatch out over a month after the clutch mates...
No worries.

Scott

wismihh

id
congratssss she is such an awesome creature! you've been working hard for her. just same sort of condition when my little leopard gecko hatched last month.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Hi Jo

I see you are in the UK and I am wondering if you are looking to sell on your any of you ickle hatchlings (either this batch or in the future)? If so please would you keep me in mind? I am very interested in expanding my ickle family! :D