Meet Nyx

drew54

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
So, after bones passed my wife wanted to correct the situation. She didn't want me to not get another one and try. While I was burying bones with my three year old she wss making calls left and right to people. I go in pretty emotional and has me get ready. She takes me to meet this breeder. I automatically disagreed with his setup. His hatchling were in a two x one enclosure on rabbit pellets being fed mazuri and romaine lettuce. His hatchlings were well fed but with some minor pyramiding. He had several marked as females and stated his incubation temps have yet to fail him. Pretty standard. My wife asked questions as I was sizing it all up.

I started to drill the questions out about humidity closed chambers wnt just lettuce and mazuri and tons of other questions. He tried to answer as best he could but I kept chiming in and reciting new ways. He got frustrated and went with his dry explanation. I refuted again. Along with the diet. I got nothing in return.

I looked over his torts and they were active and seemed well healthy. Just dry and mildly pyramiding. He speaks then ever other day he said. anyone, against my better judgment my wife wss adamant about giving him a shot. Can't really argue with the wife. I told and prepped her for what could come layer of the tort is dehydrated or exposed to chronic hydration. She wanted to try. So we picked one and so far she js survived two months and almost two weeks here with no issues.
Hopefully, she continues to grow.

IMG_0826.jpgIMG_0827.jpgIMG_0816.jpgIMG_0817.jpg

She was born in August.

10/20/18
89g

10/27/18
90g
3in

I will post weekly with weigh in.

drew54

Indiana
She has a high dome. I'll try to get better pictures of it.

drew54

Indiana
IMG_0862.jpgIMG_0863.jpgIMG_0864.jpg
I'm hoping the daily soaks, high humidity, and misting her shell will help smooth it out.

10/30/18
98g

She gained 8g in 3 days? I'll weigh her again on Saturday during her normal weigh time and hopefully she continues to grow well.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Beautiful little guy. I went to a repticon show just to check the sullies out and get some info. Ended up buying (how could you not there so cute) Guy set me up with everything told me to feed spring mix and occasionally watermelon. So I go home with 15 gallon aquarium rabbit pellet bedding and coil light. Thank God I found TFO but it had been about 3months. But Opo survived. Found out buy calling the guy to ask questions. He owned a pet store.

drew54

Indiana
Beautiful little guy. I went to a repticon show just to check the sullies out and get some info. Ended up buying (how could you not there so cute) Guy set me up with everything told me to feed spring mix and occasionally watermelon. So I go home with 15 gallon aquarium rabbit pellet bedding and coil light. Thank God I found TFO but it had been about 3months. But Opo survived. Found out buy calling the guy to ask questions. He owned a pet store.
Thank you!
I'm glad you got everything sorted out and your little guy is still rocking. I've learned so much from this forum and I'm still learning. Yes! They are adorable. They can be pretty strong little creatures.

drew54

Indiana
@drew54 I'm so happy to hear you have another little one! Keep us posted :)

Thank you. It was my wife's doing. I really wasn't ready for another one to be honest. She is growing and is very active, so I'm hoping that she won't have any complications due to the dry conditions she was previously in. My temps have been good and consistent since Bones died and the humidity is still 80+. So, that issue has been eliminated. Her diet is a mix of greens, grasses, and weeds. I've been adding mazuri every once in a while. She seems to really like endive. She will sniff it out of her pile and tear into it like an uncontrollable savage. I sometimes fear for my life when I place fresh food in there. I don't know if anyone has lost a hand due to refilling a tortoises food dish, but I fear I may be the first on the forum.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
She seems to really like endive. She will sniff it out of her pile and tear into it like an uncontrollable savage. I sometimes fear for my life when I place fresh food in there. I don't know if anyone has lost a hand due to refilling a tortoises food dish, but I fear I may be the first on the forum.

Hmmm....90 gms? You may lose a digit, but methinks @ALDABRAMAN has a better chance of seeing his hand go down in a gulp! LOL!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you!
I'm glad you got everything sorted out and your little guy is still rocking. I've learned so much from this forum and I'm still learning. Yes! They are adorable. They can be pretty strong little creatures.
They are strong both in body and mind. The latter I would say bullheaded. Lol

drew54

Indiana
Some more pics before her measuring tomorrow. She only lets me get pics while she is eating. But anyway tonight was her first time trying cactus and she liked it. She also loves her mazuri which was all over her face.IMG_0873.jpgIMG_0874.jpgIMG_0877.jpgIMG_0878.jpgIMG_0880.jpg

drew54

Indiana
She was hatched in August.

10/20/18
89g

10/27/18
90g
3in

11/3/18
100 g
3 in l
2.5 in w

So, she has gained 11 g since I've had her. She just had a soak and another man poop. Still eating endive like a savage and is doing better with the thicker grass I've been adding in daily. She is starting to an inquisitive personality. I think I need to add some fake plants in there to give her some sight barriers and make it more interesting.

IMG_0881.jpgIMG_0882.jpgIMG_0883.jpgIMG_0884.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Nice high dome, what is the red spot on the shell?

drew54

Indiana
Thanks I learned something new today

I've read where some member of the forum mark theirs for other reasons I think. I can't remember if it was to keep track of who was who in their clutch or for other reasons. If I find the threads I'll post them.

drew54

Indiana
She was hatched in August.

10/20/18
89g

10/27/18
90g
3in

11/3/18
100 g
3 in l
2.5 in w

11/10/18
106g

I had to use a cup as she was very adamant about not being weighed today. I think her shell is smoothing out in the new growth. It's a little hard for me to tell as I'm still learning all this cool stuff.

106 ahhh it makes me so happy she is growing. we should break 150 by the end of the year hopefully[emoji4]
IMG_0961.jpgIMG_0962.jpgIMG_0963.jpgIMG_0964.jpg

drew54

Indiana
Tomorrow is official weigh in! Last weight 106g who thinks she will break 110 tomorrow? Give me your thoughts! I think she will break 118g tomorrow. No I wasn't cheating lol