Meet Rhino!!!!

skolsister

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hi Everyone!!

We are finally Tortoise owners!!! Meet Rhino!!!

I introduced myself a couple weeks ago, we are from Minnesota and were preparing for adding a Russian Tortoise to our family. My son had saved for several months to make the purchase himself, and we were preparing to do so and seeking out where to purchase our new friend from. We ended up adopting an adult Russian in the end, that a distant family member no longer had time to care for.

I shared a post to my Facebook pictures of our enclosure we built and talked of how proud I was of him for being responsible and saving and researching for his new pet that we hoped to bring home soon, and someone commented on it saying they have one they were looking to re-home. It was like fate. 😍 He had originally had his heart set on a baby one, but fell in love with Rhino immediately. We are loving having him here, and enjoying getting to know his habits. My son was pretty excited this morning because Rhino took some food from his hand when offered. He exclaimed, "HE LOVES ME!!" He's happy as can be, and is like a first time dad worrying over every little thing. 🤣 🤣

Thank you to those who have let me bug them in messages to ask a bunch of questions!! I'm grateful for this place!

Attachments

• 20220524_093012 (2).jpg
    20220524_093012 (2).jpg
    698.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220525_152437_052.jpg
    20220525_152437_052.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220524_141803.jpg
    20220524_141803.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220524_162644.jpg
    20220524_162644.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 13

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum to all of you.

Your tort is adorable. God bless him.

Any pics of his enclosure? Please read the care sheets and ask any question when in need of help. Give Rhino a soak in warm water every day.

skolsister

Minnesota
Here's his enclosure. We had built a 2x4' that would be expanded later, planning for a baby. We are currently working on the 2nd part of his enclosure to expand for him, as we didn't anticipate getting a 5"+ guy right away. I also ordered slate slabs when we got him, so he only has the 1 right now but will have 4 more sometime in the next few days when they get here. Also his hide fits him right now just fine, but my son's grandpa just finished hollowing out a larger log for him that will go in when we expand the enclosure.

Attachments

• 20220526_152618.jpg
    20220526_152618.jpg
    917 KB · Views: 5

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Here's his enclosure. We had built a 2x4' that would be expanded later, planning for a baby. We are currently working on the 2nd part of his enclosure to expand for him, as we didn't anticipate getting a 5"+ guy right away. I also ordered slate slabs when we got him, so he only has the 1 right now but will have 4 more sometime in the next few days when they get here. Also his hide fits him right now just fine, but my son's grandpa just finished hollowing out a larger log for him that will go in when we expand the enclosure.

skolsister

Minnesota
Did you type a reply? If so it didn't make it into the post! Unless I'm just not seeing it?

Obbie

Minnesota
Hi Everyone!!

I introduced myself a couple weeks ago, we are from Minnesota and were preparing for adding a Russian Tortoise to our family. My son had saved for several months to make the purchase himself, and we were preparing to do so and seeking out where to purchase our new friend from. We ended up adopting an adult Russian in the end, that a distant family member no longer had time to care for.

I shared a post to my Facebook pictures of our enclosure we built and talked of how proud I was of him for being responsible and saving and researching for his new pet that we hoped to bring home soon, and someone commented on it saying they have one they were looking to re-home. It was like fate. 😍 He had originally had his heart set on a baby one, but fell in love with Rhino immediately. We are loving having him here, and enjoying getting to know his habits. My son was pretty excited this morning because Rhino took some food from his hand when offered. He exclaimed, "HE LOVES ME!!" He's happy as can be, and is like a first time dad worrying over every little thing. 🤣 🤣

Thank you to those who have let me bug them in messages to ask a bunch of questions!! I'm grateful for this place!
Hi Everyone!!

Congratulations !! I love it when someone rescues tortoises !!! I adopted a Sulcatta about 6 years ago. They are so friendly, and want to be included in everything ! Enjoy your boy !