Meet Stuffy

Torta-geddon

Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo, Co
I`m not new here but I thought I should create a new introduction for my daughter's tortoise Stuffy. I decided after a lot of thought and no small amount of begging from my daughter to get my daughter her own tortoise. I'm sure I'll end up doing about 95% of the work caring for Stuffy but she absolutely loves her tortoise and to be honest my little girl has me wrapped around her little finger so I don't mind a little extra work to make her happy. I bought her an elongated tortoise. I was sent pictures of a few different individuals to choose from and she chose a very unique looking little tortoise. Stuffy has a very sweet and gentle personality.View attachment 265887View attachment 265888View attachment 265889View attachment 265890View attachment 265891View attachment 265892GEDC0743.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Adorable! I’m a firm believer in teaching kids responsibility and pers are a fun way to do it... especially when you go in it knowing that you’ll shoulder the load! Congrats to you , daughter & stuffy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very interesting shell pattern, Victor. I wish you and your daughter many happy years of tortoise-keeping. I've never kept elongated, but they're interesting tortoises.

tortgirl5

Illinois
Hi, great to see more people with elongated! They are one of my favorite species! They are very friendly and social, very gentle! I recently just added a second one. Great choice!

Torta-geddon

Pueblo, Co
Unfortunately Stuffy passed away in mid july. I have been putting off this post because it makes me sad to think about. Fortunately Stuffy didn`t die because of any mistake my daughter made.
My little girl was a very good tortoise mommy she always fed and soaked Stuffy. She insisted on doing almost everything herself when it came to Stuffy's care and I could swear Stuffy even liked her being around. Vhaleesi would spend hours talking to and watching Stuffy in her enclosure. Unfortunately Our neighbor ended up bombing his house for bugs while we were out as a family and some of our windows happened to be opened at the time. It was pure luck that Prometheus was in a part of our home separated from our other animals. That day Vhaleesi lost Stuffy as well as her hamster she hadn`t named yet since she only got it a few days before on her birthday. My 16 year old son lost his chameleon Reptar and my 10 year old daughter also lost her box turtle named Baby. Of course Vhaleesi was the first to notice since she always goes straight to see Stuffy whenever we get home. She is very smart and instantly knew that her tortoise was gone. It broke my heart when she told me Stuffy was dead, and it was very difficult having to console all my children at the same time. I ended up putting Stuffy's enclosure in storage because Vhaleesi kept sitting in front of it and it made me constantly sad to see her so upset. She still helps me with Prometheus but she seems sadder and still brings up Stuffy sometimes when were getting his food ready.

Sorry about the sad post, wish it was better news and a few pictures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is very sad. What has your neighbor said about all your dead animals? Did they let you know beforehand they were going to be doing this?

Torta-geddon

Pueblo, Co
No, I had no idea. I didn't know for sure until a couple days later. I talked to a few of my other neighbors and kinda pieced everything together. My neighbor had no interest in speaking to me about anything including my animals, he wasn't a very pleasant individual and was evicted less than a month later. I explained to Vhaleesi what happened with the poison but she didn't like my explanation and now she tells people that bugs killed Stuffy.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello. Are you thinking of getting another one after this awful tragedy? How are you all doing now?

Torta-geddon

Pueblo, Co
We actually are thinking about getting her another tortoise. She did so well with Stuffy that it would be a shame not to get another when it wasn't her fault she lost Stuffy