Meet the Greek, Hercules

Patrick760396

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Hello Everyone,

New to the forum and now addicted to reading all the great information and stories.
Appreciate all the time and effort everyone puts in.

Wanted to introduce Hercules, 3yr old Greek Tortoise we just recently rehomed. (wt 1lb1oz - 5.5" shell)

Would appreciate a first glance health inspection as his previous home was less then ideal. (wt 1lb1oz - 5.5" shell)
A portion of his shell over his rear left food must have been broken off and has been glued back on by the previous owner, is there any concern about that? (there is a small corner that feels a little sharp)

My son (9yrs) and I will be giving him the best life moving forward.

We spent a year watching to rehome, and when Hercules came up we had to jump at the opportunity.
(Seeing the state he was living in, I moved a little faster then planned.)

My goal was always to rehome with a habitat so that I could build one based on the tortoise.
Original plan was just a table but 4 days in and seeing the difficulty managing the heat is, I'm pivoting to an enclosed habitat.

Current design is 36”x72”. Estimating it is done in the next couple of weeks.
Wondering if there are any recommendations for the interior height of the enclosure.

His current home is too small, so he is getting extra time outside in our temporary area. Since it is temporary he is fully supervised while outside.
With Fall coming fast to Toronto, the outdoor area will be next springs project.

We are looking forward to joining the community.

Again, thanks for all the work everyone puts in.

Attachments

• Herc-1.jpg
    Herc-1.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Herc-2.jpg
    Herc-2.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Herc-3.jpg
    Herc-3.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 1
  • herc-5.jpg
    herc-5.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 1
  • herc-6.jpg
    herc-6.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 1
  • herc-7.jpg
    herc-7.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 1
  • herc-8.jpg
    herc-8.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 1

Tortoise Nana

Las Vegas, Nv
Hello Everyone,

New to the forum and now addicted to reading all the great information and stories.
Appreciate all the time and effort everyone puts in.

Wanted to introduce Hercules, 3yr old Greek Tortoise we just recently rehomed. (wt 1lb1oz - 5.5" shell)

Would appreciate a first glance health inspection as his previous home was less then ideal. (wt 1lb1oz - 5.5" shell)
A portion of his shell over his rear left food must have been broken off and has been glued back on by the previous owner, is there any concern about that? (there is a small corner that feels a little sharp)

My son (9yrs) and I will be giving him the best life moving forward.

We spent a year watching to rehome, and when Hercules came up we had to jump at the opportunity.
(Seeing the state he was living in, I moved a little faster then planned.)

My goal was always to rehome with a habitat so that I could build one based on the tortoise.
Original plan was just a table but 4 days in and seeing the difficulty managing the heat is, I'm pivoting to an enclosed habitat.

Current design is 36”x72”. Estimating it is done in the next couple of weeks.
Wondering if there are any recommendations for the interior height of the enclosure.

His current home is too small, so he is getting extra time outside in our temporary area. Since it is temporary he is fully supervised while outside.
With Fall coming fast to Toronto, the outdoor area will be next springs project.

We are looking forward to joining the community.

Again, thanks for all the work everyone puts in.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi and welcome. Thanks for taking him in and giving him a new home. The beak looks overhanging. I suggest you take him to your local reptile shop for a claw and beak check and file if required. They can check the chip, If there is a sharp edge I would gently take a nail file and smooth it. Please get a high-sided container and introduce regular warm water shallow soaks as this is a time for soaking, naturally loosing any loose scales and hydrating. Enjoy your new shelled warrior and share pics.

Patrick760396

Toronto
Thanks everyone...

His food dish was plastic and his water dish was very small. He had nothing to file his beak or nails. So I now have him on terracotta plant saucers. I will make some calls to see who can give him a nose job.

The shell was glued before I got him, so no blood, it looks like it was just the overhang.

He never recieved soaks, so I have been soaking him every third day.

I was planning 30" tall, for vivarium, so that should be good.

Thanks for all the great feed back.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome and thanks for giving Hercules a new home. I would soak everyday for now. 30 to 45 minutes in warm water. Don't let the water cool down. Container for soaking should be big enough for Hercules to turn around and high enough so he can't climb out. Depth of water should be where the carapace (top shell) and plastron ( bottom shell) meet. Hercules will probably go the bathroom while soaking. I found it easier to have 2 tubs ready. When he messes in one. You can then transfer, but every tort is different. So do what works best for you and Hercules.

Patrick760396

Toronto
Thanks Ray... The two tub idea is a great suggestion ... I've been just soaking him till he messes it. Usually around 20 mins

Can I ask why so often? I am an engineer and have a weird need to understand the why. I thought at his age it was just a couple times a week.

Also you say for now... Is there a reason? Just trying to understand.

We will soak everyday, no problem.

I've been cautious of stress, so I've only been slowly changing things for him.

But each bath has been getting longer so I don't see a problem getting to that timing everyday.

Thanks again, again for all the help.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks Ray... The two tub idea is a great suggestion ... I've been just soaking him till he messes it. Usually around 20 mins

Can I ask why so often? I am an engineer and have a weird need to understand the why. I thought at his age it was just a couple times a week.

Also you say for now... Is there a reason? Just trying to understand.

We will soak everyday, no problem.

I've been cautious of stress, so I've only been slowly changing things for him.

But each bath has been getting longer so I don't see a problem getting to that timing everyday.

Thanks again, again for all the help.
Hi Pat, I read where you recently got Hercules. With the previous owner never soaking Hercules. Like what Sarah2020 said my suggestion for everyday was just a safe guard to give him more hydration. Not just to loosen up any old dead skin. But also to give Hercules a better chance of hydration. If he isn't comfortable with his new surroundings. He might be more apt to drink while he is in the water. Opposed to a new water dish. After a week you can cut back if he seems to be adjusting to his new surroundings. If you can achieve 30 minutes each soak that seems to be the norm.

Patrick760396

Toronto
Did the two tub soak today... Such a great idea, thanks @Ray--Opo. Such a simple tip, but a game changer.

Also put a damp paper towel across his back. Got the idea from @Sammy in some thread I had read.

The paper towel seems to have calmed him. He soaked for 35mins total before he got antsy.

Forgot to take pictures but will next time.