• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I am unsure if this has ever been proposed or not. We have many very dedicated and committed members on this forum. How does everyone feel about maybe having a member of the month recognition spot on this forum? Maybe highlight there screen name in a special color for a month until the next member of the month is recognized, or something simple that is just for fun and shows that someone was special. Maybe every month is too much, maybe memebr of the quarter, any ideas....?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
These type of threads tend to foster hurt feelings.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Hmmm, I like the idea of recognizing members who have gone out of their way to help other members.
In a member of the month scenario, who would select the member?

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
mctlong said:
Hmmm, I like the idea of recognizing members who have gone out of their way to help other members.
In a member of the month scenario, who would select the member?

Perhaps everyone could PM a volunteer their votes & after a week of voting, the volunteer can see who got the most votes?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like the idea. Seems too similar to the rep points though. I liked the rep points, but I have been repeatedly shot down when proposing they get brought back.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think it's a good idea. However, not that I was a member at the time, but I remember someone bringing up something like this and like dmmj said, a lot of hurt feelings in the past. Good idea though.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Well...I think we know the top three anyway...just pick the three best with 10,000 or more posts! ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Not a good idea. There were so many "arguments" and hurt feelings when the rep points were taken away, or given too freely. It became a popularity contest. This is a great forum, but so many good people left because of the arguments and mean comments that were going on last year. I never saw anything like it on any other forum.....bad times. Just my 2 cents.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
DeanS said:
Well...I think we know the top three anyway...just pick the three best with 10,000 or more posts! ;)
Quantity over quality?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I do not see the point of it. If someone does something that helps you, send them a PM. A personal note telling them how grateful you are. Perhaps I am too private, but I seldom feel the need to publicly broadcast my thanks to someone else. And this would be nothing more than a popularity contest. I do not see a need for that either, does anyone need their ego stroked that badly?

DeanS said:

So quantity over quality?

Great minds, eh?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I don't think it's a good idea like Tom said it would be like the rep points they didnt work out ;)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
The rep points worked just fine until a few members just stated begging for them.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
dmmj said:
These type of threads tend to foster hurt feelings.

You have a tough skin and a singular sense of humor. Everyone should be able to take the distinction in a positive light. Like you would. ;)

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I don't think there is anything wrong with "member of the month" , I was not around when the reputation points were though.

I have had a tremendous amount of help on this forum, mostly through pm's. I have even met some people in person and was able to see some things that I would not have otherwise been able to see. I was lucky enough to see a baby hatching from its egg! I will never forget this :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with some recognition, but I can see where it can turn into a popularity contest.

The members who have helped me know I appreciate their help and I try to pay it forward and help others as much as I can. I may not have the experience that most of the longer time members have, but I enjoy learning and also enjoy passing along the information that I have.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Laurie said:
I don't think there is anything wrong with "member of the month" , I was not around when the reputation points were though.

I have had a tremendous amount of help on this forum, mostly through pm's. I have even met some people in person and was able to see some things that I would not have otherwise been able to see. I was lucky enough to see a baby hatching from its egg! I will never forget this :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with some recognition, but I can see where it can turn into a popularity contest.

The members who have helped me know I appreciate their help and I try to pay it forward and help others as much as I can. I may not have the experience that most of the longer time members have, but I enjoy learning and also enjoy passing along the information that I have.

I couldn't have said it better. Having been a long time member on the jeep forums I can tell you that I can see how it could have caused the butthurt. When you have a lot of different people you have a whole fruit basket of personalities :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
dmmj said:
DeanS said:
Quantity over quality?

No...just my humorous way of saying Greg, Tom and Yvonne;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
terryo said:
Not a good idea. There were so many "arguments" and hurt feelings when the rep points were taken away, or given too freely. It became a popularity contest. This is a great forum, but so many good people left because of the arguments and mean comments that were going on last year. I never saw anything like it on any other forum.....bad times. Just my 2 cents.

Nicely worded!

The idea and thought behind it are great, but the reality of the harm it does is just too great in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.