Mexican petunia

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Hey guys, I have 3 kinds ofMexican petunia growing all over my garden
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461503497.882558.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461503531.552884.jpg creeping type. Mine is still waking up but in couple of weeks will be full of those purple flowers, only the picture above shows the flowers being dwarfed by lack of water all winter. Once she starts getting water the flowers are robust

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461503757.686307.jpgthe tall variety
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461503785.967695.jpg in white, purple and pink,
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461503877.548209.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461503910.729684.jpgand compact variety, white, purple and pink.

They are about to start coming out of dormancy and I'll post pictures of them blooming, but all the flowers look pretty much like the ones above.

Does anyone know if they would be safe in the tortoise garden?

Pearly

5 Year Member

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have also been told that it is safe, but I don't have any first hand experience with it… yet. :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
If you look it up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database, like I just did, then you'll find its safe to feed.

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=778

Seriously make the Tortoise Table your first place to look!
I have, and just looked at it again, every single plant listed there. Many plants listed don't even grow here, and many others I've never seen, here, Florida, nor Poland.
I did however find few answers to my plant questions.
Still, there will probably be some I'll feel better if verified. I'm not worried about "feed in moderation or sparingly" ones. I simply don't want to put plants that are toxic in my babies' enclosure.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The thing to do is to find the Latin name for the plant you have and then look that up. You will be surprised how many actually grow all overthe world. However, very few are known by the same name in all countries.

The Latin name for the plant will be the same everywhere... that's where Google is your friend :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
I have also been told that it is safe, but I don't have any first hand experience with it… yet. :)
I found the compact kind of Mexican petunia on tortoise table but not the tall or creeping one, I'll assume it's all this same until I hear otherwise.
I just want to plant the enclosure heavily, as these babies LOVE to hide under plants. My garden is an old one with many well establish plants many of which are ready for divisions and thinning. Gardening is just an exciting part of this whole tortoise adventure. It makes me happy and gives me inner peace.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Ruellia simplex, called R. brittoniana erroneously for a very long time. BTW the pictures at TortoiseTable show a different species: R. makoyana.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
No disrespect to the Tortoise Table but it’s built and maintained in the UK; it won’t contain info on every plant near every user.

I still use it after finding the Latin name, as Joe’s Mum describes. Once I get the Latin name I research the plant further on Wikipedia to see the genus and all that. Then I go to the Tortoise Table.

If I don’t hit anything there I do a search containing the Latin name and/or English name and my geographic location. If it’s native or common, it usually pops up in some kind of document.

If that still doesn’t work, I hope Lochroma shows up!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No disrespect to the Tortoise Table but it’s built and maintained in the UK; it won’t contain info on every plant near every user.

I still use it after finding the Latin name, as Joe’s Mum describes. Once I get the Latin name I research the plant further on Wikipedia to see the genus and all that. Then I go to the Tortoise Table.

If I don’t hit anything there I do a search containing the Latin name and/or English name and my geographic location. If it’s native or common, it usually pops up in some kind of document.

If that still doesn’t work, I hope Lochroma shows up!
Just so you know, it's i ochroma. I depend on his knowledge a lot too!!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Just so you know, it's i ochroma. I depend on his knowledge a lot too!!

Well that explains a LOT, lol. No wonder I can’t call him up using “@“; I’ve been spelling it wrong all this time!

I eventually decided he was so popular for his knowledge that only a mod could summon him. :rolleyes: