MIDNIGHT FEASTS

barnsleysime

Location (City and/or State)
Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England
for the first time since he came home on tuesday, i left Marvin's food in overnight. this morning most of it was gone. there's me worrying that i hadn't seen him eating anything (not that i have been sat watching him all day or anything) and the crafty little bugger is having midnight snacks!
won't be doing it again, it's not something i've done with the dragons, i know that it goes bad, just... well thought it was there SHOULD he need it, and to see if he DID take some.

it's just it makes me laugh that he is SO like his dad. sneaking food when he thinks nobody will notice! *makes mental note to keep my beer out of reach*

with regards to him not eating and sleeping a lot, says elsewhere here that this is perfectly normal for one so young (approx 6 months), and not to worry, the "he'll eat when he is hungry" philosophy? (temps all good, everything sound. mixed greens, watercress, rocket. water available. going garden centre shopping later for some dandelions and other treats! and buying a "grow your own kit")

reyt, back to watching the handsome little devil sleep. (you all do it... stop lying)

ttfn

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
for the first time since he came home on tuesday, i left Marvin's food in overnight. this morning most of it was gone. there's me worrying that i hadn't seen him eating anything (not that i have been sat watching him all day or anything) and the crafty little bugger is having midnight snacks!
won't be doing it again, it's not something i've done with the dragons, i know that it goes bad, just... well thought it was there SHOULD he need it, and to see if he DID take some.

it's just it makes me laugh that he is SO like his dad. sneaking food when he thinks nobody will notice! *makes mental note to keep my beer out of reach*

with regards to him not eating and sleeping a lot, says elsewhere here that this is perfectly normal for one so young (approx 6 months), and not to worry, the "he'll eat when he is hungry" philosophy? (temps all good, everything sound. mixed greens, watercress, rocket. water available. going garden centre shopping later for some dandelions and other treats! and buying a "grow your own kit")

reyt, back to watching the handsome little devil sleep. (you all do it... stop lying)

ttfn

Nothing wrong with leaving some food for night time mucking about....All of the Redfoot torts here will eat during the night if given the ammo to do so....and yes, hide the beer.... :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Nothing wrong with leaving some food for night time mucking about....All of the Redfoot torts here will eat during the night if given the ammo to do so....and yes, hide the beer.... :)
If he's a Russian you probably wanna lock the liquor cabinet too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't forget - sometimes nocturnal creatures come into the enclosure at night and eat the food. It's my experience that most species of tortoise do not move around at night. . . there are exceptions to this rule, but most don't.

daniellenc

Maryland
I always leave my food overnight because I’m lazy. I replace Morning and evening. He doesn’t eat at night that I’ve noticed but 12 hour food really isn’t a big deal.

barnsleysime

I always leave my food overnight because I’m lazy. I replace Morning and evening. He doesn’t eat at night that I’ve noticed but 12 hour food really isn’t a big deal.

thing is, YES, they'll digest the food, but i don't want to risk him eating anything that might be on the turn and upset him. last night was a test. i might try again tonight. see what happens. there IS every chance he may have eaten it early evening as i was downstairs from around 6pm onwards, and lights were obviously off at half 12 in the morning when i finally went to bed.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just a thought.......
Do you leave a light on for him at night ?
Maybe that's why he's up and about.

EDIT - ignore that I just saw the post about lights out

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My RF's nighttime enclosure is right next to my bed. I can hear him going in and out of his hide, and I'm up all times of the night so I've got his routine down. He eats most of his dinner around 6pm and goes to sleep in his hide. He comes out about 3:30am every morning does a couple laps, then eats whatever is left over from dinner and goes back in his hide. Then when I wake up every morning at 7am, without fail, he is waiting at his food dish for breakfast!

Last edited:

barnsleysime

My RF's nighttime enclosure is right next to my bed. I can hear him going in and out of his hide, and I'm up all times of the night so I've got his routine down. He eats most of his dinner around 6pm and goes to sleep in his hide. He comes out about 3:30am every morning does a couple laps, then eats whatever is left over from dinner and goes back in his hide. Then when I wake up every morning at 7am, without fail, he is waiting at his food dish for breakfast!

i'm hoping, in time, me and Marvin will have a routine. when i am back after recovering from the op i just had i'll be leaving for work about half six if on the bus, quarter past seven if on scooter, so i'll be putting food in first thing, then changing it when i get home about half four/five o'clock..