"Mighty Mint" Peppermint oil safe?

Brian

10 Year Member!
Hey all, quick question for you guys. My poor puppy's paws are driving her mad. Vet thinks it is due to fleas in the lawn. Problem is that we usually allow our leopard tortoises to roam and graze on this lawn. They do have an enclosed area of their own, but free range on the lawn gives them lots more space and greens to graze on. I would like to try and treat the lawn for these fleas, but obviously I am concerned about the torts. I have read about DE but that doesn't seem like a feasible solution. I have read about all the products that are not safe including cedar oils. I came across a product that I have not seen discussed and wanted to see if you could tell me if it is safe. It is called "Mighty Mint" yard spray and bug control. Ingredients are as follows...

Active: Peppermint Oil
Geraniol
Other ingredients:
Glycerin, Polygycerol oleate, soap

If I were to spray my lawn with this and then water a day or 2 later would it be safe to assume that it would wash away safely enough to allow my tortoises to use the area? Even if that means I need to do this more often, I'd rather do that then risk anything.

Thanks for any input.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I never heard of dogs getting feet problems from fleas in the grass. If you had fleas in your grass, they would be on your dog.
Wipe your dog's paws with a mild soap and water whenever she comes in from outside and rub in some antibiotic cream like cortizone 10 or any other over the counter antibiotic cream or even an antifungal cream. Use one or the other. If the one doesn't work after a few days then switch to the other.
Be sure to wipe her feet first each time.
Once her feet clear up, then you likely could stop the cream and just wipe her feet with the soap and water.