Minimum size for female Western hermann's tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Will this last for the for seeable future
Not in my opinion. Tortoises need large areas to roam around in. 32 square feet is fine for a smaller juvenile, but an adult, even a small Western, should have more room than that.

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
Not in my opinion. Tortoises need large areas to roam around in. 32 square feet is fine for a smaller juvenile, but an adult, even a small Western, should have more room than that.
I will get an 8 by 4. I am not 100% the sex so my tortoise might be male in which case it will be 5in. 32ft. Is 55 times the size of the average western Hermann's tortoise female so why is 8 by 4 not enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will get an 8 by 4. I am not 100% the sex so my tortoise might be male in which case it will be 5in. 32ft. Is 55 times the size of the average western Hermann's tortoise female so why is 8 by 4 not enough.
Because tortoises need large enclosures to walk around in. Small enclosures restrict their movement and this can create issues. Even a large adult female western will not just drop dead the second you put it in a 8x4 foot enclosure, but larger is better for a whole host of reasons. In the wild they would certainly walk around in an area greater than 8x4, right? You can keep a dog in a crate all day and night. It won't die immediately from that, but is that good for it? You could live in a closet your whole life, but would that be good for you? I think not.

Having a smaller tortoise makes providing adequate space much easier, but even small tortoises need adequate space to roam around in.

TortoiseNoob9

Fremont, California
Because tortoises need large enclosures to walk around in. Small enclosures restrict their movement and this can create issues. Even a large adult female western will not just drop dead the second you put it in a 8x4 foot enclosure, but larger is better for a whole host of reasons. In the wild they would certainly walk around in an area greater than 8x4, right? You can keep a dog in a crate all day and night. It won't die immediately from that, but is that good for it? You could live in a closet your whole life, but would that be good for you? I think not.

Having a smaller tortoise makes providing adequate space much easier, but even small tortoises need adequate space to roam around in.
What would you recommend then

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What would you recommend then
Go as big as you can. I use a 30 x 35 foot pen for groups of 6-12 inch tortoises. My star tortoise group is in a 30 x 32 x 8 foot tall cage. Bigger tortoises get 50x50 or 100 x 50.

For a tortoise that might only reach 5-6 inches as an adult, I'd like something at least 8x8 or 16x8 feet. Bigger than that would be better, but for a species that small, I like to have them caged top to bottom to protect from dogs and other predators. I'd take a look at the area and see how large of an enclosure would fit the space.