Miracle Gro 4-in-1

soph.h

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi,
I am a teenager who recently came into possession of a Tunisian tort. This is my first time owning one, so forgive me if this is a silly question.
My dad is very fond of the garden, and has been trying to get the lawn nice again for the last few years. He uses a product called Miracle Gro 4-in-1. This was last used a few months ago, and the grass has been cut a couple of times since. Being English, we also get a lot of rain. I have attached a photo of the back of the bottle of product, and was wondering if anyone can help me figure out how long this should be left before Colin is safe to go out there.

many thanks,
Sophie

Attachments

• C6BAC55A-B558-454E-8FC8-C124EB86BEBE.jpeg
    C6BAC55A-B558-454E-8FC8-C124EB86BEBE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just read the directions-it says wash hands immediately after contact! No I would not. Lawn lovers and tortoises do not mix. Even the most organic is far to dangerous for a tort. Besides if a tort walks on it, it will try to eat it. Create a dedicated space that does not get sprayed and has a step wash zone so as not to cross contaminate.

soph.h

England
Just read the directions-it says wash hands immediately after contact! No I would not. Lawn lovers and tortoises do not mix. Even the most organic is far to dangerous for a tort. Besides if a tort walks on it, it will try to eat it. Create a dedicated space that does not get sprayed and has a step wash zone so as not to cross contaminate.
Thank you. Yes, I'd noticed that- hence why I haven't put him out there. Would you be able to hazard a guess at how long it will be before it is safe though? Currently the whole lawn has had the product on, so even if I section some off I'm not sure when that section would be safe.
thank you for your reply. I will definitely create a space for him.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'd focus on the "Disposal of Lawn Clippings". It says that the first 4 rounds of clippings should be discarded - and the subsequent clippings should be composted for 6 months before being used. I think this suggests that the product takes some time to dissipate to "safe" levels, or that the composting process is needed to neutralize.

soph.h

England
I'd focus on the "Disposal of Lawn Clippings". It says that the first 4 rounds of clippings should be discarded - and the subsequent clippings should be composted for 6 months before being used. I think this suggests that the product takes some time to dissipate to "safe" levels, or that the composting process is needed to neutralize.
Ah that makes sense- thank you! I honestly wasn't sure which bit to look at on the packaging. I think for the moment my best bet is to not allow him on the lawn until spring/summer next year, as that will allow at least 5 more months, and 8/9 months total. Just want to keep him safe!
thank you again.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, best to wait. The active herbicide in this product looks to be mecoprop-p.

Mecoprop (also known as methylchlorophenoxypropionic acid and MCPP) is a common general use herbicide found in many household weed killers and "weed-and-feed" type lawn fertilizers.[3] It is primarily used to control broadleaf weeds.[4] It is often used in combination with other chemically related herbicides such as 2,4-D, dicamba, and MCPA.

The United States Environmental Protection Agency has classified mecoprop as toxicity class III - slightly toxic.[4]

Source - Wikipedia

Quixx66

Louisiana
Perhaps build an outdoor enclosure by digging up the treated soil, adding a frame, putting down hardware cloth or the like so the tort can’t dig out or under, adding organic topsoil, and make sure to leave the area and immediate surroundings untreated?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Perhaps build an outdoor enclosure by digging up the treated soil, adding a frame, putting down hardware cloth or the like so the tort can’t dig out or under, adding organic topsoil, and make sure to leave the area and immediate surroundings untreated?
Systemic Mobility of Fertilizers and pesticides could pass quickly through any nearby dirt and plant material. It would have to be a very clear and over built up area around- like a 2' wide gravel path minimum. BUT you have to account for overspray and windage, so for me the bottom line is no spray if they share the same area.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Systemic Mobility of Fertilizers and pesticides could pass quickly through any nearby dirt and plant material. It would have to be a very clear and over built up area around- like a 2' wide gravel path minimum. BUT you have to account for overspray and windage, so for me the bottom line is no spray if they share the same area.
Thanks, I was going to do this myself. You’ve saved at least two tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
I am a teenager who recently came into possession of a Tunisian tort. This is my first time owning one, so forgive me if this is a silly question.
My dad is very fond of the garden, and has been trying to get the lawn nice again for the last few years. He uses a product called Miracle Gro 4-in-1. This was last used a few months ago, and the grass has been cut a couple of times since. Being English, we also get a lot of rain. I have attached a photo of the back of the bottle of product, and was wondering if anyone can help me figure out how long this should be left before Colin is safe to go out there.

many thanks,
Sophie
I'd wait at least one year. When you see healthy weeds popping back up and thriving, then you'll know the product has significantly dissipated. If you don't see that, then I wouldn't put the tortoise there.

Such a shame that so many people want to turn their property into a toxic environment that plants, insects and animals can't even live in.

soph.h

England
I'd wait at least one year. When you see healthy weeds popping back up and thriving, then you'll know the product has significantly dissipated. If you don't see that, then I wouldn't put the tortoise there.

Such a shame that so many people want to turn their property into a toxic environment that plants, insects and animals can't even live in.
That's brill, thank you,

and yes I agree. As I said I'm a young teenager and it's my dad who treats the lawn. I've asked him to stop in the past as I don't agree with chemical treatments anyway but thankfully now I have my tort he has agreed no more products to make it safe for him by next winter.
Thanks again for the help!

Quixx66

Louisiana
I agree. Most of our two acres isn’t treated, but the yard guy and mom treated some patches, and now I’m scared.