missing some scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denmark
hello TFO :D

I just bought a new eastern hermanns tortoise, a male from 2005. I bought it over the danish version of craigslist, from an owner who hasnt taken properly care of him. He had kept it in his basement for the last year, and he only fed him every third day.
Now there is no pyramiding, but the tort seems to be missing some scales on his legs, and also his beak looks a bit narrow.

I am feeding him properly now, bathing him often and giving him at least half an hour out in the sun every day, and am nearly done building an outside enclosure so he can get a boost of d3 that he hasnt been getting at his previous owner.

I'd like any advice i can get from you guys to get Yoda healthy! + does anybody know if he'll grow scales again?

( I'll upload pictures as soon as i can borrow a camera )

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
You're talking about scales, right? Not scutes? Tortoises regularly shed their scales. They grow back.

Oogway

5 Year Member
Denmark
mctlong said:
You're talking about scales, right? Not scutes? Tortoises regularly shed their scales. They grow back.

yeah, its just larger patches of scales missing where you can see the bare skin. Never seen the same thing on my female

Status
Not open for further replies.