Missing Sulcata in Modesto CA!

Rmgoulet1941

Location (City and/or State)
Modesto
Before anyone comments on this with suggestions...I have been extremely responsible with my tortoise. He has a secure yard and night box. However, a guest left our side gate unlatched and my sully pushed his way out while we were out for a few hours.

He was last seen by a witness on 11th and E St. In Modesto around 4:30pm on Saturday. A thin, white male with shoulder length dark hair was feeding him lettuce on the sidewalk.

There was also apparently a call made to the local emergency vet about a tortoise being struck by a car but they referred them to a reptile hospital in Stockton. That hospital, All Creatures has not seen or heard of him. Nor have any other vets nearby So I am unsure if it is related.

Animal control has been contacted and they haven't received any incident reports about a tortoise.

For those of you in California (specifically NorCal/central valley), please keep your eyes and ears out for someone who might think they have a new pet. They likely will not know how to care for him! He is being monitored by the vet for a lump on his chin, it's been raining all day, and I'm very worried about his health and well-being.

Thank you.

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
Also if anyone has suggestions on how to find him, I appreciate it greatly.

Aside from posting on Instagram, Facebook, reddit, and NextDoor, I have contacted...

the local police, animal shelter, and animal control

Local pet stores and rescues

Local reptile/emergency vets

I put up a few flyers but not a lot because it has been raining the last 18 hrs on and off. Gonna post a bunch tonight and tomorrow in the dry weather.

Anything else I can do?

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
Any updates? :<3:
Nothing yet. I have contacted all local rescues, wildlife places, pet stores, animal shelters, etc. Posted flyers all over the neighborhood. Going to continue posting all over town until I have nowhere left to post. I know someone has him at this point!! Tortoises don't just vanish. I'm worried sick about him. Please send good vibes/prayers/etc.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Do you have a the nextdoor app? I would post on that, I have found dogs back to their owners. also found a tortoise with that app.

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thanks everyone! He was on CBS 13 news channel and the Modesto Bee article that Vladimir linked above.

I will definitely keep looking for him and holding out hope for months to come. I have a strong feeling someone is trying to keep him...hope they give him up soon!!
You know if they are naive about sulcata the first time your guy moves furniture or poops in the house they'll turn him loose...just don't stop getting the word out and even talk to the local cops...

Barbecue

Myrtle Pt., Oregon
Thanks everyone! He was on CBS 13 news channel and the Modesto Bee article that Vladimir linked above.

I will definitely keep looking for him and holding out hope for months to come. I have a strong feeling someone is trying to keep him...hope they give him up soon!!