Moisture

Allybean1002

Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
please help! I understand and believe that you are supposed to moisten down a hatchlings soil to keep moisture up correct? There are so many conflicting opinions out there. Also what about a juvenile? I’m getting one next week and want to make sure if I’m supposed to be spraying his enclosure down or not . Thanks!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi! Welcome to the forum! Yes, all hatchlings and juveniles need high humidity. There IS tons of conflicting info out there but you can trust this forum. Here is a caresheet for Hermanns:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

There you will find details about humidity along with lots of other useful info.
This is another great thread if you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I actually don't know much about Hermanns but I hope these are helpful!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
please help! I understand and believe that you are supposed to moisten down a hatchlings soil to keep moisture up correct? There are so many conflicting opinions out there. Also what about a juvenile? I’m getting one next week and want to make sure if I’m supposed to be spraying his enclosure down or not . Thanks!
Welcome to TFO. Yes for hatchlings they do need a humid environment. And the best way to achieve the humidity that they need would be to keep them in a closed chamber. The same would apply to a juvenile.
In the closed chamber you would need to wet their substrate ( coco coir or fine orchid bark) and mix it up until it is evenly mixed and moist. This then along with the heat in the closed chamber creates a nice humid environment. The reason why I say a closed chamber is because you want to keep that humidity in which you cannot do if it is an open top table. It would dissipate into the air if in an open top table. Could you tell us what species you have and are getting and how you are currently housing it and or will be housing the juvenile. Please also note that pairs are not good for each other. Torts work much better in groups or own their own.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
... oh I read in @Allybean1002's other post that she is getting a Hermanns. Guess it seems like I made a big assumption, haha!

Allybean1002

Nebraska
Lol yes I am getting a hermanns. My hatchling I have right now fell very very sick and is now septic so I doubt he is gonna make it at this point but I am getting a juvenile hermanns next Tuesday. He is in a 2 ft by 6 ft enclosure and right under his basking light it's probaly a little over 100 I hope that's not too high but throughout the enclosure he can get to the proper temperature provided as it ranges from the 80s up. His enclosure is also closed at the top so it stays nice and warm

Allybean1002

Nebraska
Here is the enclosure

Attachments

• B65AF1B2-E01E-4F24-BEDA-56A45CFCD9F6.jpeg
    B65AF1B2-E01E-4F24-BEDA-56A45CFCD9F6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Here is the enclosure
Whoa is that a reptile apartment building? That bearded dragon downstairs loves christmas, eh? Interesting setup!

Poor Charlie. So sorry that you both are going through that.

Allybean1002

Nebraska
Lol yeah I have a lot of reptiles all are happy and healthy just not poor Charlie . Both bearded dragons had Christmas set ups but they love to trash the place and knock the trees over haha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just remember: Warm/humid = fine. . . cold/humid = a sick tortoise

Allybean1002

Nebraska
Yes for sure. Do you use a Che for at night? We don’t but we have a space heater we always have on to keep it toasty

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas

daniellenc

Maryland
And if your reusing that enclosure you MUST not reuse any substrate, bowls, plants, or furniture. You will need to bleach that enclosure multiple times and give it time to air out. I thought Charlie had passed but if I misread that you should wait until he has and replace/throughly clean the tank itself.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
You can fully clean and sanitize all furniture and the enclosure itself. Get new substrate. And a digital thermometer withstand probe to check the real temps.

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
You can fully clean and sanitize all furniture and the enclosure itself. Get new substrate. And a digital thermometer withstand probe to check the real temps.

From what I’ve read you *could* bake the substrate to temp to kill bacteria. But do more research before pursuing this route.