Moldy substrate??

Kara B

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I am using cypress mulch and I have a ZooMed reptile Fogger that is set to go off only when the humidity drops below 80%. The problem is that the substrate never gets a chance to fully dry out. It seems that some mold growing and it's only been in there for about 3 weeks. Should I be using something else that can handle the higher humidity in the enclosure? Would coconut coir work better?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's usually decomposing feces or food that grows mold. I would just pick out the infected parts and toss them. I don't use a fogger, I just pour water from a pitcher into the corner so it flows under the existing substrate. This keeps the top layer of substrate a bit drier.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's why I only use coconut coir in a high humidity enclosure, it doesn't mood. Mosses and wood chips will/can mold. It could be food or poop molding, and that can happen on coir too, but the actual coir won't mold like moss or wood.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I agree with it being food or feces . Guess only you can know for sure by spot cleaning and inspecting the moldy stuff ! I also never used a fogger , so my strata was a lot wetter than yours !

legan52

Chicago
I'm using coir but I've actually noticed mold underneath the water dish. Is there any way to avoid that? It's a terra cotta saucer sunken into the coir but I was surprised to see it molding underneath. No mold elsewhere though the coir works really well to hold in moisture!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Orchid-bark-works-best…

Like broken record, I am…

I find it amusing that everyone all over the world listens to me and has no problem when I tell them to use an ambient of 80 degrees F and keep humidity at 80% for a species that has historically been considered a "desert" species, but almost no one listens to me when I repeatedly say to use orchid bark. I answer substrate question after substrate question, explaining problem after problem, and all anyone has to do is use plain old fine grade orchid bark. All by itself. Simple. Easy. Cheap.

Interesting it is...