Money + Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I tend to agree with Meg on this in terms of how people perceive the worth of animal.
Let me elaborate my point...when people do not pay (by money, with pain or by effort) they are generally not emotionally invested in the object (pet/love object or in the relationship). It's a simple psychology. Whatever you call it--adoption, rehoming or the special de jour sale--when it comes out of their wallet, it helps for people to commit to something they expect something out of... unless money means nothing to the person. It they don't at least go out of trouble, they don't expect much and don't care much. Should something happen to that animal, the person could possibly say "oh, well...it was free after all and I didn't lose much." It sort of sets up a priority or power dynamics, if you will, within one's psyche on what's important and not.
BTW -- This is where generous "understanding" women often get screwed and the bitches get their way with men!

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
Meg 90!
I did not post the link to the thread!
It was not aimed at her!
I only put that becuase she was asking how much I was willing to pay... and this thread said it all rather than me explaining again! Sorry you think that but it is cirtainly not aimed at her... actually my example got me thinking as my friend is selling hers, then I came across that thread and I thought why? I wounder what others think of this!

So no you couldnt of got it more wrong. Same with crush.. your taking it all in the opposite direction to what I was going in!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Kymiie said:
Well as you may or may not no, have just posted a thread (money+pets) thats all about how i think we shouldnt have to pay for animals when poeple like youselfs find yourself struggeling to look after them. So basically I wouldnt want to pay for them, but also obviosuly they need a new home so how low would you go?
xx

My email is also [email protected]
If you could e-mail me some photos and the enclosure thankx x

this is from this thread: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-12405-post-109797.html#pid109797

And you posted this "Money and Pets" thread after two interactions with the owner of those Russians.

I don't understand how this thread is not in correlation with that one, unless you are calling it just a biiig coincidence. Of course, thats just MO.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Kymiie said:
my example got me thinking as my friend is selling hers, then I came across that thread and I thought why? I wonder what others think of this!

I think that Kymiie has already said that post is what prompted her thoughts, but that the thread was not aimed at the woman....

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
The thread was not aimed at anyone, I have apologised to that lady becuase of what you said!
I was not asking for her tortoises to be free, and I have explained this to her in a PM! I was willing to pay as I know she may have needed some money with her being a studant, but I was not going to pay 300!

I was genuinely enquiring about the russians as I wanted to be a good person and help out someone, and she lives in the UK I thought this would be good. As far as im concerned you have made this thread an argument, and your over reacting.

For anybodys information if they would like to know... or not because they hate me (if this is the case, say so and Ill leave... its obviouse meg thinks i cause problems on this forum)
I now have got my friends tortoise and set up, and yes I paid but only £50! I got him so cheap.. does this mean I wont look after him.. NOOOO! He comes home with me sunday XD and danielle will be able to visit when she gets home from uni.

xxx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think its time for Kimiie and Meg to step back and settle down. No one can know what is in another person's mind and its not up to us here on the forum to either criticize or look down upon other members and the way we do things with our animals.

This is why I hate the debatable topics threads. There's always someone who gets their feelings hurt. Why is it so hard for one side to say this is what I think and this is what I would do. Then the other side come back and say, ok I see what you think and what you would do, but I don't agree, and here's how I think and would do it.

A debate isn't supposed to be one side changing the mind of the other side. It both sides getting their view across. Just because the other side doesn't come back and say, "Oh wow! Of course you are right. I'm going to change my way of thinking right now!" doesn't give anyone the right to start an argument or call names or demean the other side's viewpoint.

If you are a volatile type of personality, and you get your feelings hurt easily, may I suggest you stay off the debatable topics and stick with safer issues. And I'm not talking to any one person. I'm talking to all of us.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
I agree with you Yvonne, and as I say this was only meant to be a simple thread, but meg does have strong opinions but also addresses them in the wrong way in which gives others the wrong way of reading it! Also at the begining of the thread I put that I wasnt sure weather to put it in this topic XD

WE ALL ON THIS FORUM GET CARRIED AWAY AT SOME POINT, but as I say we get over it and still help each other out where possible.

xx

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Nice. :) You are obviously absolutely, 100% correct and I was wrong. Wrong way of phrasing, looking at it. Yep. Wrong.

I'm glad you're learning so much here Kymiie, from right and wrong I mean.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Okay, mods. It's time to lock this thread.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I agree with Yvonne completely on allowing others to disagree and stay civil while acknowledging the differences. Not every differences have to turn into a blood-shedding war.
This thread could have been more about interesting exchange of ideas and opinions. And, it's MO that sarcasm does not belong in the debatable topic section or anywhere else on the forum.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
GBtortoises said:
Craigslist immediately comes to mind. The site does not allow animals to be sold

I have sold animals on Craigslist many times without problems.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I should have been more specific about what I was referring to:

Craigslist does not allow live animals to be sold in the Community section under "pets". Which is where almost all pets for "rehoming" or "adoption" with a fee are listed. Very few are usually listed in the for sale section where it is allowed to offer them for sale. Those listing them in the unpermitted areas, regardless of what they call the transaction are selling them. Ads selling pets get noticed faster in the pets section, not in the general for sale area.

I didn't mean to imply that animals cannot be sold at all on Craigslist, but that most of the sellers are using the terms "re-home" and "adoption fee" to skirt the fact that they are simply selling the animals. Those first two terms are feel good words that give the appearance of not sounding so cold about selling an animal. IMO

Shelly said:
GBtortoises said:
Craigslist immediately comes to mind. The site does not allow animals to be sold

I have sold animals on Craigslist many times without problems.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kymiie said:
QUESTION: Should we pay to take someone elses tortoise/pet off their hands becuase they cannot keep their tortoise anymore becuase of whatever reasons?

I think it depends on exactly why you are taking the animal. Is it an animal you really want or one your just taking in because you know it needs to find a home and you can give it one? Is it a true rescue or just a rehome? Like everything in life, for me it a situation type thing, not a clear cut and dried rule.

I have to say, for me Meg's comment on free animals being garbage, rubbed me wrong. If your mind set is for an animal to be "garbage" in the end it won't matter if you paid a lot of money for it, a little money, or got it for free. I have saw folks who spent thousands for an animal, then turned around and let it starve to death. On the other hand, folks who took a "free" animal in and then spent a small fortune to try to save the animal.

I have myself bought animals, paid adoption fees, and gotten them for free. Once they come into my home, they get the best I can give them. That being said, as I sit here and type this I realized something about me. Even tho, they all get the best I can give them, it seems like the ones whom folks have been given to me are the ones I stay more worried about. It's like that by giving me the animals, those folks have given me a higher level of trust, a trust that I don't want to break. So in a way, those animals mean more to me, then the ones I paid money for. There is maybe an emotional fee, for lack of a better term, that is constantly and steadily being paid, rather then exchanging money and having a more clear cut and dried "it's my animal to do what I wish with" mentality.

Matty5974

5 Year Member
I am a part of a Wildlife Resue and Education Group and have taken 4 Torts in from people that have lost interest or could not handle them anymore.

In my opinioin the people that are donating them to a group are looking for knowledable people to care for them long term. They are more concerned with the animal rather than the $$.

On the other hand some people really feel that they have invested a lot in their animal and need to get something out of it. I do not agree with it but can see where they are coming.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Wow, some people have problems being able to control their emotions...

Anyway, I had an emergency that forced me to put my Redfoot for adoption. HE WAS FREE to a loving and knowlegdable home!
Our own forum member, Dmmj, was the lucky folk that got to take him home. I wasnt looking to make a buck. he was on the pricy side, but all i really wanted was for him to have a great home. I know he went to a good home.
Now, if i were to have advertised on craigslist, i would have played 21 questions with the potential adoptees!

Status
Not open for further replies.