Morning surprise

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I'm at work and my 6 year old sister facetimes me and when it connects, she goes "Linhdan! There is a tortoise in the backyard!!"
Its a box turtle actually and I'm surprised its found its way into my moms backyard. The area is fenced but there is a little bit of a gap between the ground and the fence. Well, is there anyway to know what kind of box turtle he/she is? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465048421.548737.jpg
My sister of course wants to keep it but i told her to leave it alone and if he leaves the backyard, he leaves, but if not thats okay too. My mom also has a little pond and the turtle took a dip in it.
She also found 2 toads/frogs in the pond as she was watching the turtle swim.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm at work and my 6 year old sister facetimes me and when it connects, she goes "Linhdan! There is a tortoise in the backyard!!"
Its a box turtle actually and I'm surprised its found its way into my moms backyard. The area is fenced but there is a little bit of a gap between the ground and the fence. Well, is there anyway to know what kind of box turtle he/she is? View attachment 176150
My sister of course wants to keep it but i told her to leave it alone and if he leaves the backyard, he leaves, but if not thats okay too. My mom also has a little pond and the turtle took a dip in it.
She also found 2 toads/frogs in the pond as she was watching the turtle swim.
A gorgeous tort!

I too, have a feeling it's a female.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yay ! safe to say its a female? that small tale sticking out.
My mom said its "the size of Tang (my sisters) food bowls, so I'm saying she's around 4"
I'd have to see the underside of the tail.

Berkeley

It's a female, and has been mentioned it is an Eastern Box. The way that the posterior (back) end of the shell drops off indicates a female. Male boxes have marginal scutes that tend to flare out at the back end. The head and foreleg skin is also not very colorful, leaning toward female as well.

Cool observation. Hopefully you will see it around for years to come!
--Berkeley

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
It's a female, and has been mentioned it is an Eastern Box. The way that the posterior (back) end of the shell drops off indicates a female. Male boxes have marginal scutes that tend to flare out at the back end. The head and foreleg skin is also not very colorful, leaning toward female as well.

Cool observation. Hopefully you will see it around for years to come!
--Berkeley
Thanks ! did not know that about the shell differences in box turtle sexes but i will remember that for future reference. :)