Moron Eating Cypress Mulch?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Ive mentioned Skurt hates calcium powder on his food. I can normally sneak some into his fruit though and he has a cuttlebone at all times. I’ve never provided vitamins and he eats a pretty varied diet despite his pickiness. Today for the first time I busted him full on eating his cypress mulch. It’s not fine grade and rather large. I got what I could out of his mouth and placed him in front of his food. He continued gnawing mulch for another 20 minutes, didn’t eat his dinner, and finally got sick of me stopping him and retreated to his hide. Why is he doing this and how do I stop him?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Firstly, do you use coloured lamps? These reason I ask is because torts associate some colours with sweet tasy foods, they have excellent colour vision, but don't use their intelligence to work out that not everything coloured is actually good for them to eat.

Coloured lamps are not recommended

Bambam1989

East Texas
Do you give multi-vitamins? My tort was trying to eat a rock bigger than him. He was so adamant about it I thought he was going to hurt himself, and I would find grit in his poop from where he successfully ground some off.
I started him on multi vitamin powder and he stopped after 2 doses (1 week)

daniellenc

Maryland
No colored lights but no multivitamin. I dust his fruit twice a week with calcium with D3. What multivitamin do you use @Bambam1989 ? He doesn’t like the small sprinkle of calcium powder as it is.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Only use a very tiny pinch of any powder and sprinkle very finely. That way they're less likely to detect it. You can overdose, so it is important to use it sparingly

daniellenc

Maryland
Only use a very tiny pinch of any powder and sprinkle very finely. That way they're less likely to detect it. You can overdose, so it is important to use it sparingly
Yeah I do.....like really small and then mix his fruit into his greens. You’d think with all the weeds and stuff he’s given he’d be getting what he needs. Plantain, hasta, dandelion leaves, clover, testudo mix I grow, rose of Sharon leaves and flowers, rose leaves, lilac leaves, honeysuckle. From the store endive, radicchio, arugula, and some weird yuppy green mix, cactus, mushroom, beet leaves.....

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If he keeps eating the cypress mulch, see what other substrate you might try.

daniellenc

Maryland
If you can find it. ( I no longer can)
I found that the brown colored REPASHY Redfoot supplement was eaten without any fuss at all. Ever.
I’m actually friends with Allen Repashy. I’ll message him and see if it’s still produced.

daniellenc

Maryland
If he keeps eating the cypress mulch, see what other substrate you might try.
I’ve tried moss which he also ate. I’m waiting on his AP cage and trying orchid bark. However, I haven’t caught him doing it since. He’s on a tough love diet now that the weeds are back he’s forgotten he liked them. So this happened right when I got strict with more weeds and less softer grocery store greens. I’m lucky to have a store with a great selection of healthy greens but weeds are free he needs to get with the program lol.

daniellenc

Maryland
I do as well!! All my cresteds and chahouas were raised on repashy products. I shot him an FB message so we’ll see if it’s still available.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Its a calcium, mineral supplement meant specifically for Redfoot.
I no longer use it since my remaining animals live outdoors full time. Just the odd cuttlebone tossed in.