Moss and update

AquaIce

Location (City and/or State)
Dunlap, IN
ok so I finally got some moss to help with the humidity issues i was having. I have a baby red foot. So should I put the moss all over the the substrate which is coco fiber or do I just put it in the hide and around the water source? Also when it dries the humidity obviously drops so how often should I be misting and how wet should I be getting it? I also got a digital humidity and temp reader to see if it works better then my other one. I will attach a few pics as well. Also I can not re do his whole inclosure at this time but I am finding out that open toooed is not the way to go so how could I modify this set up to keep the humidity in. I had posted what all I was using in a previous thread and I don’t know how to get linked here so the lighting is a 24 inch florssent tub 10.0 UVB a 60w ceramic heat and 100w basking which also helps keep the heat up. My little guy is pretty health and eats like a champ. We also do nightly soaks as well. I also included what the set up looked like before I made the changes. I am looking for a water dish and food dish that are taracotta like the hide but no luck so far all that stuff is out of season right now so... @Tom better? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help or info :)

7BD9F10B-EEC8-4687-802F-48912F4771BF.jpeg B985FDB2-ADAC-4705-BD15-2749EFBABEBC.jpeg F349EB6B-2BDD-42C2-A2A6-D1E9BA755682.jpeg 0CF799C1-DDFF-487D-8453-20762366DFF1.jpeg

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
If he digs, the moss will become mixed with the coco, but that might not be a problem... not sure though.
Is there a screen between the UVB and the tank? If so, you need to remove the screen where the UVB tube is. UVB has great difficulty passing through screen mesh as well as glass.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The idea of a hiding place is to make the tortoise feel safe and secure. Your hiding place is as open as the enclosure. He needs something dark and snug. I think that screen is ok, but it would help if you could check the amount of UVB making it through with a meter.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
The idea of a hiding place is to make the tortoise feel safe and secure. Your hiding place is as open as the enclosure. He needs something dark and snug. I think that screen is ok, but it would help if you could check the amount of UVB making it through with a meter.

I only made his hide that way because I seen a lot of other using that kind what did you have in mind?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Use an old piece of Tupperware w access hole cut in th side and use damp substrate inside. Gives a warm moist cave to hide in.
Warm, moist and dark.
The entire glass tank is too exposed on the sides, the sides need to be covered with some of that sticky sided fish tank wallpaper.
Give him a piece of rough tile or slate to eat on, not a dish with sides. This gives ease of access, a beak and claw trimmer, and less chance of his tipping over trying to enter or exit.
He looks good!