Moss growing on eggs?

hingeback

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453027918.159805.jpg
I think there is moss growing on the first two eggs, recently the second too. I also just spotted the white stuff on the spaghnum mossImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453028142.579084.jpg

First eggImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453028167.333319.jpg

SecondImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453028186.730973.jpg

Thanks!

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I am not sure what I am seeing in your photos. If that is a fungus or mold growing it isn't good news. I have successfully treated snake eggs with powdered "athletes foot" powder. The eggs developed normally and healthy babies hatched. I only treated the affected areas of the egg.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
I am not sure what I am seeing in your photos. If that is a fungus or mold growing it isn't good news. I have successfully treated snake eggs with powdered "athletes foot" powder. The eggs developed normally and healthy babies hatched. I only treated the affected areas of the egg.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453096195.208759.jpg
This is the side of the egg, there are the curly things.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think that is fungus. I've never used moss like that for incubation. I just use vermiculite and the only time I see stuff like that is after I've "incubated" and infertile egg for months.

I would very carefully wipe that stuff off, don't turn the egg at all, and put the egg back into vermiculite.

I would rather someone who has successfully incubated hinge backs give you some specific advice here. I have no hinge back experience at all. @Jacqui , have you hatched hinge back babies, and can you link in others who have?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Huh, never had that show up on mine. I would do like Tom suggested and wipe and replace the moss. Might PM tortadise and the rest of the hingeback gang.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Under good advice, I put mine in vermiculite then spaghnum moss around the eggs, kept as moist as possible.
I didn't have any moss growth. My moss was in the compact dry form that you add water too.
Was this moss of yours dry when you bought it or was it live moss? If it was live moss, did you soak it in boiling water before using it?

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Under good advice, I put mine in vermiculite then spaghnum moss around the eggs, kept as moist as possible.
I didn't have any moss growth. My moss was in the compact dry form that you add water too.
Was this moss of yours dry when you bought it or was it live moss? If it was live moss, did you soak it in boiling water before using it?
Dried moss. I pushed mine slightly into the vermiculite and also put the moss around them. I wet the moss.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Dried moss. I pushed mine slightly into the vermiculite and also put the moss around them. I wet the moss.
Bang goes that theory.
Although I think dried moss can be mixed with cold water, I still used boiling water. Not saying it did anything, just me being paranoid about killing anything off in the moss and not trusting the moss source.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Personally I would do as Tom suggested, I would also take the moss out soak it for 10 minutes in scalding water, let it cool and replace. Keep an eye on things.
I don't know if mold can and already has grown on your vermiculite.
Probably will also put the vermiculite to boil. Is it okay for the vermiculite?

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Is different ratio okay, because eventually in the incubator water could evaporate or the moisture could make the vermiculite wetter.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is different ratio okay, because eventually in the incubator water could evaporate or the moisture could make the vermiculite wetter.
This may be what is causing it, is your vermiculite ending up sodden?
If I remember correctly you made a makeshift incubator, so your eggs are in a container above a warm pool of water. Is this correct?

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
This may be what is causing it, is your vermiculite ending up sodden?
If I remember correctly you made a makeshift incubator, so your eggs are in a container above a warm pool of water. Is this correct?
Yes. The water is not warm, but the temps in the incubator is warm.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
I cleared the old moss and tried to wipe the eggs. The first three smells rotten. Nothing from the fourth yet but I am very sad... Do I need to dispose them?