Horsefield Tortoise Eggs

raffy-micha

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi! My horsefield tortoise laid 2 eggs 76 days ago. These are her first fertilised eggs. We have definitely seen veins previously in the eggs. However, for the past 4 weeks, the veins have disappeared and the eggs appear to look discoloured. There is no sign of collapsing on either eggs but nothing inside seems to be growing anymore. I do believe these eggs have gone bad but I am just looking for clarification - I really don’t want to risk disposing of a good egg.
There was also a smell coming from the incubator however after smelling both eggs, there was no smell coming from the eggs themselves. Just looking to see if this is also normal!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
I don't know anything about hatching eggs or even how long they take, but if you use the search facility you may find some answers there.
Maybe @Tom or @Yvonne G can help so I've tagged them for you.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
What to you mean by discolored?

Eggs near hatch date will start to look dark inside with an air pocket near the top that look white. But in the time prior to this they usually look reddish or yellow with a dark mass.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! My horsefield tortoise laid 2 eggs 76 days ago. These are her first fertilised eggs. We have definitely seen veins previously in the eggs. However, for the past 4 weeks, the veins have disappeared and the eggs appear to look discoloured. There is no sign of collapsing on either eggs but nothing inside seems to be growing anymore. I do believe these eggs have gone bad but I am just looking for clarification - I really don’t want to risk disposing of a good egg.
There was also a smell coming from the incubator however after smelling both eggs, there was no smell coming from the eggs themselves. Just looking to see if this is also normal!
Have you candled the eggs?

What incubation media?

What incubation temp?

Did you add moisture to the incubation media?

Pics would help.

raffy-micha

United Kingdom
I have been candling the eggs! The temperature is kept at 31 degrees C. As for moisture, I’m not quite sure. Here’s a recent picture of the eggs, I can’t candle them and get a picture as I don’t wanna risk dropping or tilting them slightly but the inside essentially looks the same as the outside.

Attachments

• 0CDC87D1-25A7-4A97-B66E-D233AB95A726.jpeg
    0CDC87D1-25A7-4A97-B66E-D233AB95A726.jpeg
    923.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 570CF16B-A928-4B79-97DF-6FB03C4715A9.jpeg
    570CF16B-A928-4B79-97DF-6FB03C4715A9.jpeg
    763.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 6B3E38A7-F50B-4367-9110-6DB91D302C9E.jpeg
    6B3E38A7-F50B-4367-9110-6DB91D302C9E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

raffy-micha

United Kingdom
Found a recent-ish picture of the inside of the egg.

Attachments

• 06DA5639-6C1E-45F9-94CF-D407C64A283F.jpeg
    06DA5639-6C1E-45F9-94CF-D407C64A283F.jpeg
    604.9 KB · Views: 16

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
The eggs before they hatch will look dark at the bottom and have an air pocket at the top of the egg. I candle my eggs without picking them up. I use a small mag flashlight. From what I can tell by the picture, it looks like they are close to hatching.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have been candling the eggs! The temperature is kept at 31 degrees C. As for moisture, I’m not quite sure. Here’s a recent picture of the eggs, I can’t candle them and get a picture as I don’t wanna risk dropping or tilting them slightly but the inside essentially looks the same as the outside.
These actually look like they do right before the hatch imo.
The eggs before they hatch will look dark at the bottom and have an air pocket at the top of the egg. I candle my eggs without picking them up. I use a small mag flashlight. From what I can tell by the picture, it looks like they are close to hatching.
I agree, my turtle eggs looked like this right before hatching.

raffy-micha

United Kingdom
Really? They‘ve looked like this for a while now and I was starting to think that they'd simply stopped developing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You're not sure about whether or not you added moisture to the media? I don't understand. Either you added water, or you didn't.

Are you incubating them on paper towels?