Ms. Olive the Sulcata

Orvalthetortise

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,
Ms. Olive here was previously Mr. Orval😂 she's 4 years old. After being on here for a bit, my husband and I quickly learned the information we were given to care for her wasn't 100% correct. We've changed quite a bit of her routine.
In the morning for a few hours she gets moved around the yard in this play pin. I realize this may not be perfect, but it allows her to get more than 30 minutes to an hour.
She eats mainly grass from the yard with the occasional dandelion leaves. (Learned the spring mix was no bueno and spinach is bad. Making sure she's getting high fiber and low protein)
1. How do I prep winter grass or hay?
I understand it might be a bit of overkill, but I've been giving her a bath everyday or every other day. She seems to dig it and she's been staying out of her water bowl (she only drinks out of it now🥳)
2. How do I know when she's dehydrated?
3. How often should I bathe her?
Her inside enclosure is quickly getting to be too small, we have topsoil and orchid bark as her substrate. (We know it needs redone, I'd like specifics before redoing it. We also want to make it deeper for her digging.)
4. Is that okay or is there something else y'all would recommend?
I'm not sure exactly what her bulb is, but I'm concerned it's not putting out enough heat. Or even if it's UVB. There's relatively no humidity (just the humidity in the house). I do want to get her a slate eating plate? For her beak.
5. How often should I give her Exo Terra calcium powder supplement?
6. What else is recommended? Good tips or tricks? 7. How do I know when she is vitamin deficient?

Thank you for reading!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20240709_122255675.jpg
    IMG_20240709_122255675.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240709_122105543.jpg
    IMG_20240709_122105543.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240709_122114490.jpg
    IMG_20240709_122114490.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240709_132234953.jpg
    IMG_20240709_132234953.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's still too small to determine gender. All young tortoises have female characteristics.

I don't know how to post links from the device I'm using right now, but most of your questions are answered in the articles we have at the top of the Sulcata section.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, there are some changes to be made. Read what was just given to you by Chubbs.
Your question about dehydration. When he goes the bathroom. Do you ever notice some white pasty stuff? That is called urates and is developed from the tortoise recycling the urine. Since it is dry in the wild they need to maintain fluid. So they don't get dehydrated. Anyways if the urates are milky or pasty that is what you want. If it is hard and gritty, you tort needs more water. There is nothing wrong with soaking everyday. Just dont let the water to cool down. Keep it warm.

Orvalthetortise

Kansas
Welcome, there are some changes to be made. Read what was just given to you by Chubbs.
Your question about dehydration. When he goes the bathroom. Do you ever notice some white pasty stuff? That is called urates and is developed from the tortoise recycling the urine. Since it is dry in the wild they need to maintain fluid. So they don't get dehydrated. Anyways if the urates are milky or pasty that is what you want. If it is hard and gritty, you tort needs more water. There is nothing wrong with soaking everyday. Just dont let the water to cool down. Keep it warm.
Sweet thank you! One time I gave her a bath she peed, and I noticed the urates. Then I didn't know what they were, so I looked up what it was and figured out they were urates. It looks like sand to me, I will pay attention if they are hard and gritty. Thank you very much!