Mulberry leaves

pawsplus

Location (City and/or State)
Nashville, TN
So I got some from someone who has a mulberry tree (unsprayed) and Beasley (redfoot) hates them. :( She devours hibiscus and I figured they aren't that different, but apparently they are. I keep offering them and she keeps looking at me like I'm offering her meth. As far as I can tell, she hasn't even tried them. Apparently they smell terrible LOL. Should I give up or keep trying? I can't get them regularly, but I have a few friends with trees so I could get a supply occasionally and I thought it would be a nice addition to her diet, and everyone else's tortoises seem to love them!

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
LOL - great minds. I did that before coming back here. Made her a mulberry, prickly pear fruit, and mushroom salad and she ate at least some of the mulberry. I cut it up small and she STILL managed to pick out the prickly pear LOL. But she got most of it. I will do this for a few days and hope she warms to the taste. I don't think I can plant a mulberry at my place--I'm down in a holler, so not a lot of sun, and due to the narrowness of the property (at least, the part that is yard/not woods!) and the presence of a parking area (fruit kills cars) and power lines, I cannot find an acceptable spot for a 30-50 foot tree. But I can get leaves from friends every so often to provide a change.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
LOL - great minds. I did that before coming back here. Made her a mulberry, prickly pear fruit, and mushroom salad and she ate at least some of the mulberry. I cut it up small and she STILL managed to pick out the prickly pear LOL. But she got most of it. I will do this for a few days and hope she warms to the taste. I don't think I can plant a mulberry at my place--I'm down in a holler, so not a lot of sun, and due to the narrowness of the property (at least, the part that is yard/not woods!) and the presence of a parking area (fruit kills cars) and power lines, I cannot find an acceptable spot for a 30-50 foot tree. But I can get leaves from friends every so often to provide a change.
My Redfoots aren't really fond of them either but dried mulberry gets mixed into their Mazuri, so they have no choice if they want their Mazuri fix ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Same. I cut my leaves up really small and mix with mazuri. She eats the whole thing then