Multiple Sclerosis: Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffinjenn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Euless TX
Last month I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. After the shock and fear has worn off some ( I am on short term disability right now) I find myself wondering if anyone here has personal experience with this disease. I'm wondering if certain diets and any other tricks there are out there that can help. There are so many scary things you find by searching google and I thought I would see here if any of you have any advice as far as daily living habits other than just the med's my Dr. is starting me on.

Thank you, ~Jenn :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I am so sorry to hear this. It is a very disabling disease. But you can keep it under control. Keep in close contact with your dr.s and make sure you have good support at home. Also join a support group. They will be able to help...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( What sad news to be told, especially this time of year. *hugs* Wish I could give you some advise, but this is not something anybody I know has had to go through and I wish you were not either. :(

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
One of my girlfriends was diagnosed about six years ago. She was devastated but after it settled in she learned that if you manage it you can reduce the symptoms. She is still active and works. She has both a md and a holistic dr. She was doing physical revolution but it was expensive so she found a personal trainer who specialized in working with ms patients, learned the exercises and now does them on her own. She eats almost like a vegetarian but a few times a week eats fish. She said her extreme discipline is her saving grace. Her only major symptom is ringing in three ears. She can't get rid of that and has tried everything.
I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. If you have any questions I can run them past her.

M

Maggie Cummings

Kerryann said:
One of my girlfriends was diagnosed about six years ago. She was devastated but after it settled in she learned that if you manage it you can reduce the symptoms. She is still active and works. She has both a md and a holistic dr. She was doing physical revolution but it was expensive so she found a personal trainer who specialized in working with ms patients, learned the exercises and now does them on her own. She eats almost like a vegetarian but a few times a week eats fish. She said her extreme discipline is her saving grace. Her only major symptom is ringing in three ears. She can't get rid of that and has tried everything.
I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. If you have any questions I can run them past her.

She has ringing in *three* ears???

bdavison

5 Year Member
Over 10 years ago, one of my good friends was diagnosed with MS. He has since married, had a child, got on a medicine regiment that works for him, and it truly has little effect on his life. Its always there, but he chooses not to focus on it. As I am sure you are aware, it definitely has different effects on different people. You are on disability now, but do not need to stay there. Find a Dr you are comfortable with, do what they tell you until things simmer down, and research your head off about cleaning up your diet and environment. Don't let it dictate who you are. Don't become a MS victim. You are much, much more than your physical body. Remember that, above all else. You have a condition that you now need to learn to manage. Nothing more. Keep your stress level down, and spend extra time with your pets. They will help calm you. Its their nature. You are the very same you to them. I love that you asked for advice here. It tells me you are more identified with being an animal lover than some disease. Keep it that way. I wish you the absolute best. And I advise you to find more people like me who can support you without turning every conversation into a coddling, pity party. That may sound harsh, but I hope you can see the sense in what I am saying. Its hard to say all this in one paragraph.
I grew up with a terminally ill mother. I have spent most of my adult life in a career in medicine working with a patient populations that have terminal illnesses that will result in organ transplant or death. I have been immersed in terminal diseases. My mother died when I was 21. People always feel bad when I tell them the basics of my childhood. Yet, my brothers and I don't see it as anything to be sorry about. Sure, most people have their mom longer. Most people are not passed around to be raised by relatives while your mom in hospitalized for months at a time. That's what they see. We see the benefits of learning that your family will not always be there, so do not take those you love for granted. We felt what it was like to know that one of us may not be here long. We fought like normal kids. A lot. But I found it odd how mad some of my friends got at their parents or siblings, actually yelling that they hated them! I didn't really get how they could say such a thing that they clearly could not mean. Not taking your family for granted is a gift. We did not walk around in fear, feeling sorry for ourselves, because that is not the family my parents saw themselves in. We played games together, enjoyed one another in a way most families can only wonder about with teenagers. I see that my mother wanted children her doctors told her she would never conceive. She did, but miscarried, at least 7 times. And she had 4 children around the 7 babies that weren't meant to be. They said she would not live to raise her babies. My younger brother was 20 when she died. When she finally tired of the fight her body was losing, she apologized for not making it 2 more weeks until the end of that semester. Seriously, she was one tough cookie. She was a wife who wanted to be a mother. They all said it was not to be. I lived with a person who chose to see herself as she wanted to be, not as her condition dictated. She was first and foremost a mother, a wife, and a friend, who happened to have a pretty crappy disease. You cannot ignore this card that life has dealt you, but you can choose how it will effect you. Choose wisely:)

muffinjenn

5 Year Member
Euless TX
Thank you for all of you kind replies :) I am very determined and stubborn and this will not get the best of me whatever I have to do! My major problems I'm having right now is numbness in my legs and feet and major balance issues. I'm a dog groomer and my Dr. and Boss thought it best for my safety and the safety of the animals I work on if I took some time off. I'm trying so hard to convince my body to behave it is frustrating sometimes but I'm determined not to let it bring me down :)

Today is my birthday and also brings in the new year and I know 2013 will be great! :)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
maggie3fan said:
Kerryann said:

She has ringing in *three* ears???

Dang autocorrect. :) Why doesn't it think the isn't acceptable?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
2262189n47yqng5kx.gif

JENN!!​

You've been dealt a rough hand, but I sense this is going to be a good year for you!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
muffinjenn said:
Today is my birthday and also brings in the new year and I know 2013 will be great! :)

I agree this year will be great! Happy Birthday, too!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Happy Birthday. So sorry for your bad news. However, a positive outlook can do wonders. Sounds like your on track with the outlook. I don't know much about your decease, however I have heard that meditation, yoga and of course diet and meds all work wonders with these kinds of things. Good luck and I agree, 2013 will be fantastic for you:D

Status
Not open for further replies.