MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi everyone, I am still pretty new here. I have done my intro awhile ago, I just don't post much. Love reading all the educational and Funny stuff. Some of you are a hoot.
My dilemma: I just read a thread that said not to use a mvb all day long. Only use for a couple hours a day. I have a leopard, Tatum, approx. 7 months old. I keep the mvb on from 7a.m. to 7p.m. Should I be turning it off after a couple hours? I live in Chicago, so Tatums outside time has come to an end until next summer. So my question is leave on all day or leave on for only 2-3 hours each day?
Thanks for any help

M

Maggie Cummings

I believe that person was saying our tortoises don't need that many hours of UVB, as long as they were getting sunlight. Now that your Chicago sun is gone, your tortoise needs 12 hours of UVB light, in my personal opinion. I live in the Pacific Northwest and my sun is gone also. So all my tortoises are getting a UVB light on for 12 full hours a day...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
If you go to the uv guide website.. There will be an article regarding giving the animal the ability to remove themselves from the UVB rays... Most animal thermoregulate for heat and also regulate from the sun... Tort seek shade be it from the heat or the UVB... And I have never read anything that says that any reptile needs constant exposure to UVB.... But I have read about over radiation from to much UVB exposure...

The problem they say with having a UVB heat source in a cool enclosure is the animal will stay under the UVB bulb exposing themselves for longer than they would in ther natural environment....I have also heard new information regarding UV index..in natural light the uv index changes..in your enclosure it stays fixed..

Best setup would be a UVB bulb that doesn't put out heat on one side of the enclosure and another basking light on the other side so the animal can do what come naturally..

When my torts go out on a hot sunny day... The only time I see them in the sun is when they are grazing... Then they head to there hide or shade..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....I understand the confusion :D

UVB bulb, is necessary and your tort should have full opportunity to it for 12 -14 hours a day....a UVB bulb does not put off heat.

Basking bulb, is equally as necessary and there should be a hot spot that your tortoise can go to to regulate their body temps. Does not put off UVB, but does put off UVA

MVB, is a bulb that has the UVA/UVB and heat all in one bulb.

The only problem I have with the all in one bulb as the only source of all of these is that if the tortoise/turtle needs to heat themselves up they are forced to be in the UV rays wether they should be or not...you know?

I feel that if you run an MVB you should also have another heat source that is strictly for basking, my metod; MVB on for 2-3 hours, then shut it off and turn on the heat bulb or low grade UVB tube light for the remainder of their 12-14 hour day time allotment :D

Night heat, can be achieved by che or a night heat bulb (I have both the red heat bulb as well as the purple heat bulb designed for night)...

Again, these are IMHO :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do have the MVB in one corner and CHE in the middle. The MVB for heat and basking but also the CHE for additional heat with the other side being the cooler side. Temps being 100 basking MVB, 85 CHE and 75-78 cool side. He mostly buries himself under the substrate that is under the MVB. So he his getting almost the 12 hours of the MVB light, except when he comes out to eat, then he usually goes back into the little cave of substrate he has made. So should I leave the MVB on or should I turn it off, so he has to use the CHE to warm up?
Thank you for responding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have never seen any reptile of any species anywhere ever have a problem from full time 12-14 hour a day MVB lighting. I sometimes use them over winter for 3-4 months at a time on my hatchlings and I leave them on for at least 12 hours a day every day. I've had an iguana living under one for several years now too. My friends beardies, etc...

I think they are the best way to go, if you can't get real sunshine due to the weather and seasons. I have never found any of the florescent bulbs to be sufficient for preventing MBD.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
It's up to you.. They do not need 12 hrs of UVB.... A few hrs a day is sufficient..(also bare in mind MVB do not like to be turned off and on)or you can leave it on..but they do need the ability to get away from it if they feel the need

In a perfect set up you would have a uv light that gives out no heat..and a separate heat lamp for basking... So the animal can do what comes natural..

I have noticed already in my enclosure.. The big torts will not bask under the heat lamps...but I find them every morning under the UVB bulbs(no heat) all stretched out..Its not to warm up as I keep the temp in the enclosure a constant 87-90*F 24/7
And they have access to a heat lamp with a basking temp of 100*F.. They seek out the UVB light..bask under it for an hr maybe two then there good for the day..

The female(smaller of the three) will lay under the heat lamp.... Then move under the UVB bulb..going back and forth between the two...but spending the most time under the UVB...

Simple would leaving it on all the time hurt..probably not....is it necessary for the animal to be exposed to it for 12hrs.. NO

If you want a MVB that doesn't produce heat... Go with an externally ballasted MVB..last twice as long and is way more efficient than internally ballasted bulbs..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom said:
I have never seen any reptile of any species anywhere ever have a problem from full time 12-14 hour a day MVB lighting. I sometimes use them over winter for 3-4 months at a time on my hatchlings and I leave them on for at least 12 hours a day every day. I've had an iguana living under one for several years now too. My friends beardies, etc...

I think they are the best way to go, if you can't get real sunshine due to the weather and seasons. I have never found any of the florescent bulbs to be sufficient for preventing MBD.
I bought the MVB because I was told and also read that it was the best. Bought one for my uromastyx lizard also. I will be keeping it on for the full 12 hours.
Thank you for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.