my baby sulcata start digging..

nuzul arief

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
so I just found he/she started to digging the soil on their outdoor playpen. im in Indonesia (tropical) and I think the ambient temp around 25-27degC and the humid will be less than 75% I think. he never did that before and he is being playing on this playpen for about 1.5month now. im wondering if he did that just for fun, or looking for more warm/humid spot or want to escape from his playpen?..

Attachments

• x4931.jpg
    x4931.jpg
    967.8 KB · Views: 45

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
He may be seeking warmth or just protection. Does he have a place to hide? My tort likes to hide under plants. They don't feel secure out in the open.

nuzul arief

Indonesia
hi Big Charlie.. place to hide..? hmm I just realized that I provide him a hide spot on his indoor enclosure but not on the outdoor playpen. even though there is a small "hole" from a concrete block, or maybe he just doesn't like to hide on that hole. anyway when he is on his playpen he will roaming all around while bites some grass and weeds and seems didn't try to find some spot to hide, just walking and roaming..thats why I "forgot" to provide him a hide spot :).. and for last two days I found him start digging..

Bee62

Germany
hi Big Charlie.. place to hide..? hmm I just realized that I provide him a hide spot on his indoor enclosure but not on the outdoor playpen. even though there is a small "hole" from a concrete block, or maybe he just doesn't like to hide on that hole. anyway when he is on his playpen he will roaming all around while bites some grass and weeds and seems didn't try to find some spot to hide, just walking and roaming..thats why I "forgot" to provide him a hide spot :).. and for last two days I found him start digging..

Hello,
my little sullies began to dig at the age of 5 months. I gave them a big gras buckle in their indoor enclosure and they dug a hole, a little burrow in it.
These tortoises are natural born diggers and they search a place to dig themselfs a burrow. Mayby your little tort is searching for a cooler place in his outdoor enclosure and a place to hide against predators. This is a natural instinct and I would give him a nice place to dig and hide.

nuzul arief

Indonesia
Hi Bee.. yes, last Saturday I put an old tree trunk for his hiding place and he is straight away get in to it for a loooong nap :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's digging because thats what sulcatas do. They live underground 95% of their lives in the wild.

Bee62

Germany
Hi Bee.. yes, last Saturday I put an old tree trunk for his hiding place and he is straight away get in to it for a loooong nap :)

I am glad to hear that your baby tort loves the new hiding place. :)
May you upload some pics for us ? I would appreciate pictures.:)

nuzul arief

Indonesia
I am glad to hear that your baby tort loves the new hiding place. :)
May you upload some pics for us ? I would appreciate pictures.:)
Hi Bee, sorry for taking so long to reply you with photos. actually I don't have any recent photos on their outdoor enclosure. but attached some other photos.. Screenshot_2017-10-04-09-50-19-663_com.instagram.android.jpg IMG_20170819_095153.jpg IMG_20170813_101353.jpg IMG_20170808_165229.jpg IMG_20170811_171331.jpg

Bee62

Germany

nuzul arief

Indonesia
Thank you for the nice pictures. You have a star tortoise too ! Cute these two little ones.:)
hehe Thanks.. my baby Sulcata is the naughty,active,friendly tortoise and seems doesn't like his stuff nice and tidy, he has been destroyed his hiding cave (from thick paper), flip over his water/food bowl etc hehe.. while my star is the silent man, eat sleep walk sleep :)

Bee62

Germany
hehe Thanks.. my baby Sulcata is the naughty,active,friendly tortoise and seems doesn't like his stuff nice and tidy, he has been destroyed his hiding cave (from thick paper), flip over his water/food bowl etc hehe.. while my star is the silent man, eat sleep walk sleep :)

Naughty boy ( or girl ) :D