Playpen!

Nmcgowan

Hello all! Today I picked up a small animal playpen. I'm using this in the hopes that it allows Molly to get more exercise. I'm in an apartment and it is currently winter in Upstate NY so going outside is not an option yet. I also picked up a second light stand so I could hang her UVB/MVB over the playpen area. I have placed Molly's water/food dishes and one of her hides. Since I put her in it she has just been pacing the perimeter. I'm wondering if anyone else here may have any ideas on how I can make this area more "fun" for her! :D I would like to know what peoples opinions are on how long I should let her stay in the playpen. I obviously can't keep this area humid.

Rest assured: She will never be alone while in the playpen and the area under the light is already very warm.

Thanks guys!:D

Attachments

• 20160405_161400.jpg
    20160405_161400.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
My tort likes to stomp through his tunnels in his room. I started with a kitty play tunnel and cut off all the dangly things. He seems to like using that, plus it can also function as a hide - mine is made of nylon so prob not a good idea to place under a bulb!!
She may be pacing the perimeter becaue she can see through the sides - if you think it is stressing her try to put a sight barrier around it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I agree with Lyn. You need a visual barrier around the bottom.

How long to leave him in there depends largely on temperature. Even though you have a basking lamp, the floor tends to be cold. Use an infrared thermometer to check the temps early and often. You can even check the tortoise's carapace temperature.

Personally, I would rather see the tortoise in an enclosure that is the size of the play pen. Then there would be no need to have it out of its safe, controlled environment.

Nmcgowan

I agree with Lyn. You need a visual barrier around the bottom.

How long to leave him in there depends largely on temperature. Even though you have a basking lamp, the floor tends to be cold. Use an infrared thermometer to check the temps early and often. You can even check the tortoise's carapace temperature.

Personally, I would rather see the tortoise in an enclosure that is the size of the play pen. Then there would be no need to have it out of its safe, controlled environment.
My tort likes to stomp through his tunnels in his room. I started with a kitty play tunnel and cut off all the dangly things. He seems to like using that, plus it can also function as a hide - mine is made of nylon so prob not a good idea to place under a bulb!!
She may be pacing the perimeter becaue she can see through the sides - if you think it is stressing her try to put a sight barrier around it.
Thanks guys! I totally agree about the visual barrier thing. I have since wrapped the blanket that she is on around the bottom of the playpen and she isn't pacing anymore ( I should have seen that coming :rolleyes:). Using my hand-held thermometer, the area under the light is measuring between 83 - 85 degrees Fahrenheit and her carapace is measuring at 82 degrees. She has now been in there around 45 mins so I think its time for her to go back into her enclosed home :). If I had the space I would love to have her in an enclosed habitat this size but as I said that's not an option right now. As I have said in my other posts: within the upcoming year we plan to be moving into a house and I'm already looking into building an outside enclosure. I'm a big fan of some of your outside enclosures Tom. :D Molly and I Thank You!!!!:<3: