my cherry head will only eat bananas HELP

Location (City and/or State)
south jersey
Gianni, we need to know the exact measured temperatures and humidity in the enclosure, and we need to see some pics of the tortoise and enclosure. That is, if you want to get the best possible help here.
the temps are 80 and hot spot of 100, humidity is around 70 percent, i try not to soak the whole enclosure because I'm worried about shell rot

Damien Szkatulski

Today is my birthday!
Ohio, United States
Gianni, my sulcata had started to develop the same problem, but instead of bananas, kale! Thanks for making the thread. I'll use all the tips they gave you ^_^

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shell rot isn't an issue with sulcatas. Don't worry about that.

south jersey
Gianni, we need to know the exact measured temperatures and humidity in the enclosure, and we need to see some pics of the tortoise and enclosure. That is, if you want to get the best possible help here.

Attachments

• IMG_1508.JPG
    IMG_1508.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1515.JPG
    IMG_1515.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

Damien Szkatulski

Today is my birthday!
Ohio, United States

I love your tortoise and his setup ^_^ But I think they meant like humidity and temp from a thermometer and hygrometer. I didn't see one in the pics. Your setup looks good, but(if you don't already have them) it would be good to pick up a couple hygrometers and thermometers.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I had the same issue with Oli (my Greek tort) who would only eat Roman lettuce. Ed ( @ZEROPILOT ) sent me mazuri (which isn't available here in Jordan), and GOD only knows how much time and effort it took to get Oli to eat that! He drove me nuts, believe me. I had to do exactly what members told you in this thread; believe me.

(And thank you @ZEROPILOT for the mazuri).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had the same issue with Oli (my Greek tort) who would only eat Roman lettuce. Ed ( @ZEROPILOT ) sent me mazuri (which isn't available here in Jordan), and GOD only knows how much time and effort it took to get Oli to eat that! He drove me nuts, believe me. I had to do exactly what members told you in this thread; believe me.

...Need more?

south jersey

what did you do just not feed him until he ate the mazuri

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
what did you do just not feed him until he ate the mazuri
I had to firstly stop feeding Oli lettuce, which he loves. He would not eat mazuri for days and weeks so as to say. (These torts are so stubborn)! I was about to give in and lose the "war." Somebody at the forum advised me to mix the mazuri with lettuce. I tried that but it did not work. Incredible isn't it? I was then told not to feed him lettuce, and not to worry: torts can go for very long without food. So I didn't give him lettuce. And when he got very hungry, it seems, he did finally eat. I was so relieved.

Try that and please keep us updated.

Good luck.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think at this young age, he should always have a good variety of food in his enclosure available to him at all times.
When he decides to eat, the food will be there!
Mix up at least 5 different foods and add the mazuri to the mix. For example, mustard greens, pumpkin squash, okra, snow peas, pawpaw.
That is what I would do.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
how long do you think he can go without eating before i should just give in and not risk him starving, days? weeks?

Weeks. A daily 30 minute soak in warm water is essential when a tort goes on hunger strike to prevent dehydration.

Everybody in here has given good advice. You have to learn to laugh when your tort gets stroppy - it happens too frequently for one reason or another