my cherry head will only eat bananas HELP

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
The fact that she can laugh should make you feel better, just saying. If it was something she saw as serious she would not have. As for her seniority..... she has experience and that’s what you ask for is it not? Your “social skills” need some adjusting because everyone else can tell she meant nothing by it other then these kinds of posts are seen ALOT.... I posted one like two weeks ago because my tort is addicted to mazuri tort food and was skipping her veggies.

Speaking of my post, I got herbal tortoise hay from tortoisesupply.com and he/she absolutely loves it and eats anything it’s sprinkled on including vitamins and calcium. It’s not really hay it’s like a bunch of different dried weeds and flowers that are tortoise safe and smells amazing. Hope that helps

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome. I think perhaps we are getting a bit off track at an innocent comment. Let's move on from Yvonne's chuckle and spend time on getting your little one off bananas. Believe me, she meant no disrespect. You have been given great advise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In fact, Yvonne is someone that most of us call on to help with matters all over the forum.
Back to the beginning now. Are we sure that everything in the enclosure is correct?
Temperature and humidity and that nothing is causing any stress? This is very important.
Have you offered the blended/chopped food containing a little banana yet?
Does your tortoise eat a lot of banana or just nibble like he doesn't actually want anything at all?
If he chomps it down, you just have a finicky eater. This can be fixed with the info you already have.
If he barely eats any banana then it is likely that there is another issue going on. And it's something that we haven't yet found.
All of us, including the moderators are here voluntarily. No one is getting paid here. We are all trying to help.

Last edited:
south jersey
i really don't care if your going to defend that type of behavior, theres no reading it out of context, if you understand the english language then how is that out of context . if i said that my my son is starving and won't eat and someone responded by saying i always laugh at these people who can't get their kid to eat it makes me chuckle just don't feed them . then where is the taking it out of context, also other ppl expressed she was rude but she is a "senior member" of this holy academy so she can be an asshole if she wants. lol this is not worth wasting even typing anymore

Last edited:
south jersey
everything is correct with my enclosure humidity lights temps etc , i have had tortoises all my life and never experienced such a shy and non active hatchling that also won't eat, i came on here more as a shot in the dark that maybe someone could tell me something idk because its been a long time that this hatchling won't eat. even banana she will barely eat so idk not much i can do i guess

south jersey
The fact that she can laugh should make you feel better, just saying. If it was something she saw as serious she would not have. As for her seniority..... she has experience and that’s what you ask for is it not? Your “social skills” need some adjusting because everyone else can tell she meant nothing by it other then these kinds of posts are seen ALOT.... I posted one like two weeks ago because my tort is addicted to mazuri tort food and was skipping her veggies.
lol did she chuckle at you too

Destben

Kansas
everything is correct with my enclosure humidity lights temps etc , i have had tortoises all my life and never experienced such a shy and non active hatchling that also won't eat, i came on here more as a shot in the dark that maybe someone could tell me something idk because its been a long time that this hatchling won't eat. even banana she will barely eat so idk not much i can do i guess

How long has it been since she ate? Have you been weighing her? If so has she lost any?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I got the impression from your earlier posts that the tort was eating but only wanted bananas. Sorry if I misunderstood. But if he has a poor appetite completely then there is something wrong. This could be several things and to pinpoint the issue we would need to know a few things.
May we know how old your tort is and how long you have owned him?
Is he lethargic?
You said your temps and humidity are correct but it can be helpful to know what they are. And what kind of lights are being used?
Pictures of your tort and his enclosure may also help figure out what is wrong with your tort.
Just trying to help.

south jersey
its strange tho she is active but only when i wake her up, she will just completely bury herself in the cypress and eco earth to the point were i can't find her, but when i soak her and put her back she is active clear eyed no snot , idont think anything is wrong with her but i could be wrong because she will eat banana but thats it, the only other thing I've gotten her to eat is apple, she is a hatchling but i haven't weighed her I've only had her about a month, idk if i should just try to only feed her the spring mix and mazuri to see if she will eventually eat but idk how long it is safe to just not feed her if she keeps refusing to eat the spring and mazuri

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you tried my suggestion? I've had good luck getting reluctant eaters to eat using this method.

Damien Szkatulski

Today is my birthday!
Ohio, United States
so that gives her the right to be rude. i don't think so a human being is a human being and you should treat every one with respect, the reason she acts like that is probably because she hasn't had social interaction with anything accept a tortoise in years

Someone gives you good advice, expressing their own feelings honestly, in a blunt fashion that could be considered rude without context
Do you,
A:take the advice, knowing they have much more experience and have saved the lives of many of their own and other's tortoises.
B:not agree with what they say, and brush off the part that you didn't like
C:give a lecture about human respect and make fun of them for often interacting with tortoises(while at the same time lacking human respect)
D:ask for more tips about tortoise keeping
Feel free to phone a friend

south jersey
Have you tried my suggestion? I've had good luck getting reluctant eaters to eat using this method.
i haven't yet because before i start i would like to know what is a safe amount of time to not offer banana if she won't eat the spring or mazuri, like a week two weeks before it becomes unsafe

Damien Szkatulski

Today is my birthday!
Ohio, United States
i haven't yet because before i start i would like to know what is a safe amount of time to not offer banana if she won't eat the spring or mazuri, like a week two weeks before it becomes unsafe

I don't really know, as I am probably less experience than yourself with tortoises, but from what I have heard others say it shouldn't become a problem if you offer the tortoise food and it's hungry. If I were in that situation I would be skeptical too, though

Damien Szkatulski

Today is my birthday!
Ohio, United States
I don't really know, as I am probably less experience than yourself with tortoises, but from what I have heard others say it shouldn't become a problem if you offer the tortoise food and it's hungry. If I were in that situation I would be skeptical too, though

I am also less experience with grammar lol

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
I understand your worries. When they won't eat, then finding at least one thing they will eat is better than nothing.

Some torts prefer moistened dry food, others will only eat fresh green leaves (or red). Mine goes nuts for champignions and do love banana, but will then go on to eat what is on the plate if they are hungry. Mine are not hatchlings, so there is a bit of lee-way (sp?).

My first instinct would be to spread some banana on a nice red radiccion leaf and see if that will go down as well as the banana on its own would. If the hatcling has difficulties biting off the leaf, I would cut up the leaf in little bits and mix it with the banana.

So, please stop reading bad manners into the posts, and just go for the advice. Any food is better than nothing, and some takes longer to wean off their preffered food.

As for heat and humidity, hatclings seem to need more humidity and heat than older torts, so the questions about those things are understandable. And you seem fairly new here, so people will ask about your experience... and then say that people might have been wrong even if they have done something for 20 years, so... please, follow the advice given, if just as a thing to try and then rule out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, a tortoise can go a very long time without eating, but the longer you allow it the harder it is to get them eating again. I would start right now, soaking in Gerber strained carrots and warm water (half and half). Leave the tortoise in the solution for at least a half hour, but keep a good watch to make sure he doesn't tip over in the water. Then place him in front of the food mixed with banana when you get him out. Step out of his sight. They eat better when you're not watching.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Gianni, we need to know the exact measured temperatures and humidity in the enclosure, and we need to see some pics of the tortoise and enclosure. That is, if you want to get the best possible help here.