My dad says buying my tort a 600$ enclosure is a waste of money and is adamant that i dont

Mulgore

Location (City and/or State)
Kernersville, NC
Hello I do have the funds and live at home with my parents I try to tell my dad how much he would improve from having this new enclosure like Humidity control and just a larger space for him while indoors and I have no problem having it in my room even if I need to downgrade my bed I would. I want to purchase this but he making me feel like it's a waste and doesn't tell me why. You guys are always so helpful and full of wisdom thanks 😊

Mulgore

Kernersville, NC
Hello I do have the funds and live at home with my parents I try to tell my dad how much he would improve from having this new enclosure like Humidity control and just a larger space for him while indoors and I have no problem having it in my room even if I need to downgrade my bed I would. I want to purchase this but he making me feel like it's a waste and doesn't tell me why. You guys are always so helpful and full of wisdom thanks 😊
He's 8 months I wanted to get the 72 inch animal plastics enclosure.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hello there,

I'm sorry that your Dad isn't on board with the animal care, just yet. I understand the sticker shock though. $600 is a lot of money to spend on a enclosure when you aren't expecting it. However, that price isn't an unnecessary mark up. It's a quality product that saves you time and energy trying to re create something similar should you want to attempt it yourself. It also is visually attractive. If that matters to you. Aesthetics matter to me. So, I will spend more to get something I like to look at.

The thing is, when you choose to care for an exotic animal in captivity, you have to provide the environment that animal needs. In this case, a sulcata needs to be raised in a humid environment and that's hard to do without a closed off enclosure. Unless you live where it's naturally humid of course. You know this. Dad needs help understanding it.

Also know there are cheaper ways, although less attractive, to set up your tortoise. Perhaps you'll need to compromise with your Dad by opting for a mini green house tent over a table of sorts.

How old are you? Your age might help us give you more accurate advice on how to proceed in educating your Dad on the proper husbandry of your shelled little buddy.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
tort is gonna live for an awfully long time, and you will have to upgrade eventually anyway

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't pay that either when they will out grow it any way. There is much cheaper ways of housing one properly until it's big enough to live outside during the warm months.
A pop up green house for one. A wood table enclosure with a pop up green house over it. Some use large plastic tote boxes for hatchlings with a home made plastic tent over it or a pop up green house over it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with your dad!

If you only have one very young tortoise there are other, cheaper ways to make an enclosed habitat for your baby.

And, if you have a tortoise that has passed the tender, young growing age your tortoise doesn't need an enclosed habitat.

If I'm remembering correctly you have a 6 month old sulcata. Sorry to say but your tortoise DOES need an enclosed habitat, and he'll need it for another year, maybe two. BUT!!! There are other ways to provide the enclosure he needs.

My sister had a large wooden what we refer to as a tort table. It's basically a four sided wooden box with no lid. Hers was about 6' long. Very easy and cheap to throw together. Your dad might even be able to do it! Then she went on Amazon and looked up table top greenhouse. She found one almost 8' long for $33. She assembled the greenhouse over aand around the tort tsble, and VOILA!!! she has an enclosed habitat. It maintains relative humidity of appx 85% and is easy to heat.

Explain to your dad the importance of keeping baby sulcatas in warm, humid conditions, just like they would be living in in the wild down deep in a burrow, and these condition are absolutely critical to help the shell grow smooth.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Explain to your dad what your tortoise needs.
If he's like most dads, he'll see it as a challenge to build something suitable. And large enough at a substantial savings that will last until you need to upgrade again.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have your dad build one out of wood. Then when it rots in a year, he might be happy to pay for the right one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have your dad build one out of wood. Then when it rots in a year, he might be happy to pay for the right one.
Doesn't need to rot if they treat it. 600 for an enclosure that is good for a couple years maybe is ridiculous for someone that has one tortoise and doesn't plan on breeding and might not be affordable. Offering affordable substitutes, would be more helpful!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Doesn't need to rot if they treat it. 600 for an enclosure that is good for a couple years maybe is ridiculous for someone that has one tortoise and doesn't plan on breeding and might not be affordable. Offering affordable substitutes, would be more helpful!
There is no treatment that works. I've tried.

Further the alternatives that you offer do not work as well as a correctly made enclosure. They are compromises, and they are cheaper, but not as good as using the correct type of enclosure made from the correct materials.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
You can lined the enclosure with sticky back plastic wood design. Mine is on the base and about 4 inches up each side for substrate and tortoise scratching , when I clear the substrate I wipe it down and it works well.
I recommend what Yvonne explained and be creative it is fun to do . Maybe one of your friends has a handy Dad if carpentry DIY is not your Dad's thing.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
get the heavy duty tote box from costco (the black one with yellow lid . cost around $9 )
carve the lid to fit light fixtures
if you are very handy, you can even carve out a little window in the front

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
$600 is a lot of money for something temporary. I know it is the best out there. That $600 is no longer $600 when you add shipping. It's well over 1k to try to get one shipped to me. I settled with the greenhouse. It's 1000 percent better then a tank or bucket. Maybe not be up to those amazing enclosures and not as pretty but it has been spot on for humidity and heat throughout the enclosure. All 4x8 of it.

Mulgore

Kernersville, NC
I wouldn't pay that either when they will out grow it any way. There is much cheaper ways of housing one properly until it's big enough to live outside during the warm months.
A pop up green house for one. A wood table enclosure with a pop up green house over it. Some use large plastic tote boxes for hatchlings with a home made plastic tent over it or a pop up green house over it.
could you link me some my enclosure size is 4' x 2'