Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh my! I just now saw your pictures. That's bad. Any time you see that big of an opening into the body cavity, the tortoise needs to be seen and tended to by a qualified tortoise vet. In my opinion, that opening needs to be covered with a Tegaderm-type covering, otherwise you run the risk of those organs drying out. Once they dry out, the dry part dies and that's real bad.

Wild animals are hard-wired to show no weakness. Eating and acting normal is not a good gauge of if he's in good shape or not. They hide it very well so as to not be prey.

And he needs antibiotics, which only the vet can prescribe.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The reason why I'm suggesting 2-3 soaks is because the tort is probably dehydrated and it may help to keep the wounds cleaner. Since the baby is eating lettuce that has no nutritional value anyway, I see the soaks as more beneficial given the gravity of the wounds. It may actually save his life until she sees a vet.

maggie3fan said:
mhadjes said:
So just warm water to clean him but should I still use Neosporin and keep him bandaged or is it better for his wound to stay open and dry?

It's my opinion that you should still bandage and put Neosporin on until enough time has passed that infection is not a worry.
It would be better if you'd get some Clorhexadine to wash the wounds. Generally you can get some at your local feed store. You really need to prevent infection setting in. It's a great worry with open wounds especially if the puncture is into a bone, then you really need to make it to the Vet not to scare you but if any of those wounds get into bone could end up being a fatal thing. It's really a worry if you think any of these puncture wounds go into the bone.

sibi said:
Look, there is an open wound, and while that remains open, you'll need to keep it clean AND bandaged. if I were u, I'd take him to a vet because there's a great chance that he'll get that wound infected. In the meantime, use newspaper or towel to keep wounds clean and dry. You can increase humidity by keeping his hide and enclosure warm and moist by using a mister, fogger, or spraying often. Btw, i would soak him 2-3 times a day for now. I would not feed lettuce (not good for your baby). Instead, feed him collards, kale, turnip greens, soft grass, weeds, hibiscus flowers with leaves to mention a few things. Keep us posted,, and remember that torts act like everything is fine when it isn't. Then, all of a sudden they die.

I mostly agree with what you are saying except the part about soaking 2 or 3 times a day. I don't mean any disrespect when I say I think that is too much soaking. In most tortoises soaking means pooping but that means that his food is going thru his intestines too fast and he is not getting the needed nutrients like he should be...just something to think about. I believe that a 20 minute soak daily is enough...

mhadjes

5 Year Member
So Elmo is doing really good. He is now eating spring mix and I spray it with vitamin supplement and calcium once a day. I am soaking him 20 minutes a day and rebandaging him everyday with neosporin on his wounds. His under shell where there was bite holes seem to be healing but the shell is very soft/moist. Will that harden up with healing or is there something I can do? Also the enclosure he is in is a wooden tortoise house that you buy at Petsmart and I just have towels in there for him to live on since he can't be in dirt until his shell is completely healed. He does have a small half log to go into to hide and i have a washcloth in there so it is completely enclosed on one side and it is like he is burrowing. With all of this I was wondering how I go about humidity in his area? I do have a heat lamp and a UVB light that stays on him all day but nothing that provides any humidity. He looks a little dry (kinda like someone who has really overtanned there skin for years) to me and maybe a little yellowish in color.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Have you decided to nurse those wounds yourself without seeing a vet? Because if that's what you're doing, I think you're making a big mistake. You will likely see your tort die from infection and shock. Please let us know his current condition.

mhadjes

5 Year Member
I have been doing it by myself. I have not had the money to take him in. But I have gotten tons of info from this forum plus lots of others with tort experience. It has been two weeks now and he seems to be doing very well. He explores alot and eats a ton. He has been pooping and peeing normally also. I think the shock has worn off and I watch his woulnds very closely for any signs of infection. He is happy and friendly and comes out lots and lets me rub his head and neck which he loves... :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You wouldn't be able to see "infection." The tortoise probably should have antibiotics.

At any rate, if you be sure to keep the habitat warm, then you can soak your wash cloth in water and wring out the excess. This would provide the humidity for the hiding place.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I agree with the infection thing....maybe that is what could be causing the yellowish color? Maybe you could see if the vet would take payments.

I think a moist wash cloth under the heat source will work for humidity. You could also spray the enclosure a few times a day (unless someone has said otherwise). Maybe get a "hospital" tank for him. Like a small 20 gallon so you can keep it warm and humid for awhile. It would be easier to keep it mostly covered also.

Did you said you were using calcium every day? I would suggest cutting back on that to once or twice a week. Too much calcium is no good for them either.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
What will the infection look like that you are looking for? When one takes on the responsibility of a life, they are taking on all of those responsibilities, the money part as well as the fun parts. If your dog that did this damage was in the shape of your tortoise,(big hole in its side) would you take it to a vet or choose to self doctor it from the Internet machine.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I agree with the other replies. The cost of vet bills shouldn't be a surprise. You knew that when getting a tortoise. I understand mistakes happen but the fact that your dogs were able to get to them and long enough to do such damage is alarming. If I had a dog who hurt other animals like that I'd be worried about them hurting more animals or even humans.

I agree with a previous post that suggests finding out if you can pay in payments. Or maybe even ask someone if you can borrow the money and pay that person back in payments. If you can't do either of those I seriously suggest, and I truly mean this in the nicest way possible that you find a place/person who is properly able to care for him and get him the medical attention he needs and deserves.

If you had a child who was attacked by your dogs would you keep those dogs? Would you not take your child to the doctor no matter the cost? These are all serious questions. Not saying you're a bad pet owner but maybe you just learned you aren't the right right for a tortoise right now.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its been two weeks.. if an infection was going to set in i would think it would be obvious by now..
keep it clean, and keep flys away.
it needs to heal fromthe inside out.. so keep it clean and covered..
good luck. It could still get bad.. but active and eating is good.. dont forget calcium and vitamins.. sunshine is a must too...

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
DaisyDuke said:
If you had a child who was attacked by your dogs would you keep those dogs? Would you not take your child to the doctor no matter the cost? These are all serious questions. Not saying you're a bad pet owner but maybe you just learned you aren't the right right for a tortoise right now.

Three things:
1. A tortoise, or any other pet, is not a human child. The owner of a pet generally has the right to choose treatment options for that pet. Allow this guy that right and do not attack him for his choices.
2. His dogs are his pets, too. Chewing on tortoises if given the opportunity is an expected response on the part of the dog, not a sign of a vicious animal. The owner already understands that his dogs must not be given another opportunity.
3. Suggesting that the OP should not have a tortoise simply adds insult to injury. Kicking people when they're down is just not nice, or helpful.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
mhadjes how is your little sulcata doing?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Lets get back on track shall we?

The shell is going to be soft where it grows back and it will harden later on. The "holes" in the shell will grow in but the large missing piece over his back leg probably won grow back completely. It should fill in and as he grows it will reshape and gradually fill in. I suggest keeping the tort inside until he no longer fits in the dogs mouth or at least build a cage with tall enough walls that dogs and cats can't get in.
Could you post some recent photos so we can see how he is doing?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Mhadjes, please update the status of your baby. We are all worried sick, and because we care so much, we sometimes express things that we are feeling at the time and it may not be helpful to you---because this has to hurt you too. I mean, seeing your baby bitten like that is horrible. Then, losing one is unimaginable. So, please, even though you say it has been two weeks since the attack, the yellowing of the shell can suggest a life-threatening condition that you are unaware of. If it's the cost of seeing a vet, PM me. Just, whatever you do, just don't stop responding to this thread because of some of the comments. Finish this out...you dropped this thread on all of us and now we want to help you.

Cheeky monkey

5 Year Member
Zabbi0 said:
This is not the time to place blame at the post above. I'm sure this poster has felt absolutely awful enough. It is time to just give aid where we can.
I would agree with the advice though- please please get to a vet if you are seeing internals. You may want to get a shot for any bacteria that could get into those wounds. Otherwise, I would keep doing the warm soaks & lay baby on towels rather than regular bedding. Encourage food. Just very regularly check baby and nurse baby back to health.
I can't bear to see pics so I'm not sure i can bring myself to check back in. I said a little prayer for your baby. Best of luck.

I agree, if you have any concerns go to a vet!
Even if it turns out nothing bad has happened, you would better be safe than sorry!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I am sorry this happend to you, and to the poor torts... I can't look at the pictures cause it almost breaks my heart to see a tortoise injured by a dog, or any other animal for that matter. I hope this will help others learn the risks. I didn't read the whole thread cause it just sicken's me to hear of a tort passing. On that note I hope the survive'n tort is doing well. Also I wanted to say, I mean no disrespect to you by anything I have said. Best of luck to you and the little one!

mhadjes

5 Year Member
image (2).jpegimage (1).jpegimage (3).jpegimage (9).jpegimage (10).jpegimage.jpegimage (5).jpegimage (4).jpegimage (8).jpegimage (6).jpegimage (7).jpegI take what no one has said badly. I know everyone here just cares and that's why I posted to begin with! Anyways here is some new pictures of him I took tonight with soaking. He really does seem to be doing well. He got all of his bandages off last night so I left him for a little while today without them and he really is much happier without them. He tends to hide alot with them but was out while he didn't have them on. Maybe he doesn't feel like a man with them on! :) He also was doing this little shimmy backwards this alot kinda looked like he was scratching his tummy. Very cute actually. I saw another video on here posted of someone else's tort doing the same thing. I have cut back on his calcium and started soaking the washcloth over his hide for some humidity. One thing though...when I picked him up today his shell felt warm (from heat lamp) is that ok or can he be to warm? Should the heat lamp be on all the time during the day? I also have his UVB lampon all day.

Last edited by a moderator:

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I THINK.. Yes, he can get too hot but if your four temps are right where they should be he should be fine. Torts can over heat though so maybe double check you temps and make sure they are still ok. I'm no expert on wounds and I just can't go back and look at the first pics but the new pics look like the wounds have improved. All except for the last pic looked pretty good. I can't tell what's hanging out in the last pic and I couldn't stand to look at it too long try to figure it out. Good job. I know it's been a lot of work.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
He is looking better. In the last pics is the brown part the remodeled shell? Or is it still the organs?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
a warm feeling can also indicate infection... since reptiles dont give off heat.. its that or he overheated... try to figure out which one...

Status
Not open for further replies.