My Experience with TortoiseSupply's "Testudo Seed Mix"

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
I recently bought a bag of TortoiseSupply's Testudo Seed Mix to grow weeds for my new Western Hermann's hatchling. I also have two adult female redfoots and eventually hope to add some of the clippings to their diet as well.

Seeing as it's wintertime, I debated whether to grow the mix indoors or try for outdoors. I live in northern Florida, and do get below freezing during the winter, but not consistently. I started by filling ten 20x10 inch seed trays with organic top soil from Lowes. I scattered the seed mix in, then added about another 1/4 inch of soil. After watering thoroughly, I placed the trays on my backyard porch and hoped for the best.

I hope to document the growth here, for those who are interested in this mix. (Tom also has an excellent thread on this mix which is what led me to purchase it, seen here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoisesupply-com-testudo-seed-mix-thread.71890/ ) I am not trying to compete with his thread at all, but rather to show how the mix grows in rather less than ideal conditions. Since planting, we have had a fair share of freeze warnings, and this area of the porch only gets sunlight for about 6-8 hours a day. But it seems to be doing well so far!

Progress photos:

Day 7 (clover starting to come in):

Day 9:

Day 15 (about this time, I started cutting clippings daily for my Hermann's):

Day 27 (still restricted to various forms of clover, but the tort isn't complaining!):

And the happy girl today:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I still have very healthy plants growing from seeds I planted over a year ago. Cut the tops and they regrow.
Eventually you will find some MONSTER sized carrots and radishes, etc when you pull up the roots!
The pack of seeds doesn't seem very large, but it sure grows a lot of stuff.

dylanwicklund-

Ok thanks I think I'll get some aswell because I spent about 23 dollers on different kinds of seeds for my beardie and tortoise but all worth it in the long run

dylanwicklund-

I was wondering when your going to do an update I'd love to see how much it grows in a few months as I just ordered this and the African grazer mix for my sulcata tortoise sully :) he is just over 9 months and ive already spent alot of money for his veggies but it's worth it cute bugger stole my heart

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
I apologize for the delay in updating, I've been out of town.

Day 44:

Day 63 (today)... I harvest about 2 cups of weeds from this every day for my dragon and Hermann's. Additionally I threw some seeds into my outdoor redfoot pen and they've sprouted well in completely shady areas with mostly sandy soil!

Height of the growth is about 6 inches by now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This bounty of "free" food is what keeps growing and regrowing in one of my isolation pens that has been vacant for a few weeks...

Attachments

• 20160118_130131.jpg
    20160118_130131.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 97

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I was wondering about the seed mixes aswell. Thank you for posting these pictures! Its very helpful !

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
So my question is if you cut clippings from the mix will they grow back? Or do you have to replant seeds for it to grow again?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
So my question is if you cut clippings from the mix will they grow back? Or do you have to replant seeds for it to grow again?
Cut the tops off and many if not most will grow right back.
The picture of my isolation pen are all plants that grew back.
The tortoise that had been there ate and trampled them.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
what kind of soil did you use and what kinda sun was it kept in? partial shade etc? i had goo luck with it last year but i think your havin better luck lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think better results will be achieved if deeper soil is used, and if the plants are allowed to mature a bit more before the first cutting.

I've been cutting on some of the same plants for a couple of years now.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Thanks zero and yes I would later on like to plant the seed mix in the enclosure! Right now I have like 3 rows of it and it's pretty long!