MY FIRST EGGS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
After 12 hours of having an egg stuck in her cloaca, I was able to help her work out 2 perfect eggs. I had to put mineral oil in her cloaca and help her work out the first egg; the second came out rather easily. These are my first eggs as a redfoot keeper and I am super excited!!! Tooks some pics before I popped them in the incubator.

IMG_6940.jpg

I was so jittery after the whole thing that I wrote the wrong date on the eggs!! :D

IMG_6941.jpg

Here is momma after the whole ordeal.
IMG_6942.jpg

Only about 120-160 days to go!!! :D

Thanks Yvonne and Cdmay for helping me!!

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!! Congrats! I look forward to pics of the cute lil hatchlings :D

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
So glad you were able to help her! You must be very excited. Someone should change your title to "Tortoise Midwife." ;)

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
congratulations! Eggs are very exciting!

just a word of caution though, mineral oil is not permeable by the skin or internal tissues, and can lead to issues in clogging pores(in humans) or affecting blood flow in areas where applied. It also isn't good to put mineral oil on tortoise shells or skin for these reasons. There are good alternatives though... This was a very important topic when I went through massage school. A better substitute is olive oil, grapeseed oil, vegetable oil, sesame oil, almond oil, etc. You can find very good quality oils (i prefer organic) at most health food stores. My favorite is grapeseed or very light organic olive oils. you can also cook with these, and some(like grapeseed) have a very high temperature threshold which allows you to cook things hotter-like in wok cooking. <-my apologies for the tangent: Here's a site about mineral oil in regards to people that includes links to research papers http://www.herballuxuries.com/about-mineral-oil.html

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Congratulations! Those suckers are huge compared to my box turtle eggs!

Do you plan on keeping the hatchlings if they hatch or rehoming them? I considered rehoming my baby boxies before they hatched but after they did I couldn't bear to give them away :)

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
zesty_17 said:
congratulations! Eggs are very exciting!

just a word of caution though, mineral oil is not permeable by the skin or internal tissues, and can lead to issues in clogging pores(in humans) or affecting blood flow in areas where applied. It also isn't good to put mineral oil on tortoise shells or skin for these reasons. There are good alternatives though... This was a very important topic when I went through massage school. A better substitute is olive oil, grapeseed oil, vegetable oil, sesame oil, almond oil, etc. You can find very good quality oils (i prefer organic) at most health food stores. My favorite is grapeseed or very light organic olive oils. you can also cook with these, and some(like grapeseed) have a very high temperature threshold which allows you to cook things hotter-like in wok cooking. <-my apologies for the tangent: Here's a site about mineral oil in regards to people that includes links to research papers http://www.herballuxuries.com/about-mineral-oil.html

Thanks for that info, I didnt know any of that, but I had to act on a dime and that was wat Yvonne suggested so I went with it.

Lulu said:
So glad you were able to help her! You must be very excited. Someone should change your title to "Tortoise Midwife." ;)

Hahaha lol! Thats pretty funny but no thanks! :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Yea buddy!...... CONGRADSS!!!!!>...... now the wait ....:rolleyes:

JD~:)

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Mgridgaway said:
Congratulations! Those suckers are huge compared to my box turtle eggs!

Do you plan on keeping the hatchlings if they hatch or rehoming them? I considered rehoming my baby boxies before they hatched but after they did I couldn't bear to give them away :)

I plan on keeping them because they will be the first I have ever hatched so there is a bit of sentimental value with them. Plus my little brother already named them Barley and Marley (not sure why, lol)!! :)

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
N2TORTS said:

Thanks JD! The wait is the hardest part i know; it was like torture getting to this point, but well worth it!

I wonder if I am the youngest RF breeder?!? Lol! :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jrcrist4 said:
N2TORTS said:

Thanks JD! The wait is the hardest part i know; it was like torture getting to this point, but well worth it!

I wonder if I am the youngest RF breeder?!? Lol! :D

Hummm...not sure how old are ya ?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
jrcrist4 said:
After 12 hours of having an egg stuck in her cloaca, I was able to help her work out 2 perfect eggs. I had to put mineral oil in her cloaca and help her work out the first egg; the second came out rather easily. These are my first eggs as a redfoot keeper and I am super excited!!! Tooks some pics before I popped them in the incubator.

IMG_6940.jpg

I was so jittery after the whole thing that I wrote the wrong date on the eggs!! :D

IMG_6941.jpg

Here is momma after the whole ordeal.
IMG_6942.jpg

Only about 120-160 days to go!!! :D

Thanks Yvonne and Cdmay for helping me!!

Thats great!!!!!!!!!!!! She could have more 4 to 6 weeks from now. My female laid 3 eggs, then 5 more 5 weeks later, then 5 more 6 weeks later. Then !!!!!!!!!! my other female laid 5 eggs, 5 weeks later laid 5 more. A week after her last clutch she is digging holes everyday like she has more in there. Im probably gonna have a full incubator this year.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Congrats!!! Great job helping her and keep us posted!!!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Wow good news. can't wait to hear how the eggs do?
Now you can relax!!

How old is your female?

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
bigred said:
Thats great!!!!!!!!!!!! She could have more 4 to 6 weeks from now. My female laid 3 eggs, then 5 more 5 weeks later, then 5 more 6 weeks later. Then !!!!!!!!!! my other female laid 5 eggs, 5 weeks later laid 5 more. A week after her last clutch she is digging holes everyday like she has more in there. Im probably gonna have a full incubator this year.

Good lord! What are you going to do with them all!?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Mgridgaway said:
bigred said:

Good lord! What are you going to do with them all!?
I had 10 hatch and sold 7 of them and my 88 year old Mom has 3, she also has 2 elongated. She is the one that got me into it, I have 10 in the incubator and If my female keeps her schedule for laying she should start laying in December. Lots of fun My mom had someone ride up on horseback 75 years ago and give her a tortoise dangling from a rope and she has been a tortoise keeper ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.