MY FIRST EGGS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
bigred said:
I had 10 hatch and sold 7 of them and my 88 year old Mom has 3, she also has 2 elongated. She is the one that got me into it, I have 10 in the incubator and If my female keeps her schedule for laying she should start laying in December. Lots of fun My mom had someone ride up on horseback 75 years ago and give her a tortoise dangling from a rope and she has been a tortoise keeper ever since.

That's one hell of a story! Let me know when they hatch! Depending on my money situation I might be interested in getting a friend for Darwin :)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Mgridgaway said:
bigred said:
I had 10 hatch and sold 7 of them and my 88 year old Mom has 3, she also has 2 elongated. She is the one that got me into it, I have 10 in the incubator and If my female keeps her schedule for laying she should start laying in December. Lots of fun My mom had someone ride up on horseback 75 years ago and give her a tortoise dangling from a rope and she has been a tortoise keeper ever since.

That's one hell of a story! Let me know when they hatch! Depending on my money situation I might be interested in getting a friend for Darwin :)
OK I will do that Do you have one small redfoot now

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
N2TORTS said:
jrcrist4 said:
N2TORTS said:
Yea buddy!...... CONGRADSS!!!!!>...... now the wait ....:rolleyes:

JD~:)

Thanks JD! The wait is the hardest part i know; it was like torture getting to this point, but well worth it!

I wonder if I am the youngest RF breeder?!? Lol! :D

Hummm...not sure how old are ya ?

17!! :D

Thanks everybody!

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
congratulation as you i m also trying to reproduce red foot
can i ask you the female' s size?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
tarta4ever said:
congratulation as you i m also trying to reproduce red foot
can i ask you the female' s size?

Its been a while since i last measured but she is 12.5-13 inches. Redfoots can reproduce at a smaller size than that but usually the eggs are infertile.

A helpful tip in breeding redfoots is to have at least 2 males to breed with your females.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Congrat John! What a good pappa you are helping her out. Kepp us updated on the eggs. Have you decided if you are going to keep them?

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
thanks for the inforation,then what is the correct ratio male/female in a red foot group?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
tarta4ever said:
thanks for the inforation,then what is the correct ratio male/female in a red foot group?

The ratio varies from keeper to keeper. I think as a rule of thumb that you want atleast twice as many females as males.

My ratio at the moment (I will probably bring in more soon :D) is 3:7. With this group there are enough females to satisfy the males and keep them from fighting with each other. The fighting is why you dont want too many males. The males will go at each other a little at first to establish dominace and after that its usually smooth sailing.

laramie said:
Congrat John! What a good pappa you are helping her out. Kepp us updated on the eggs. Have you decided if you are going to keep them?

Still thinking about whether or not I will keep them after they hatch, but they still have to hatch so we will see what happens after they hatch!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.