My first Indotestudo Forstenii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
At last, I have local tortoise from my own country, Indotestudo Forstenii.

He is 6 cm SCL and he arrived 4 hours ago. He looks healthy despite his 24 hours air shipment. I immediately soaked him for 30 minutes and put him in his enclosure.

I might get like 3-4 more and start their own breeding colony in the future.

Soaking time :)
Forstenii01.jpg

Forstenii02.jpg

His enclosure :tort:
Forstenii03.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my...what a pretty little tortoise. And you've made him a very nice place to live.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Benjamin said:
Very nice. They are my favorite.

Thank you Benjamin. These are from my country, but looks like you have already success breeding this :D

emysemys said:
Oh my...what a pretty little tortoise. And you've made him a very nice place to live.

Thank you Yvonne. I learn much about enclosure here :)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Congratulations! They're one of my favorites. Your little one is beautiful.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
So pretty! So what is the species name in non expert form? Lol. Cause i have no clue what he is besides gorgeous!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
lori12386 said:
So pretty! So what is the species name in non expert form? Lol. Cause i have no clue what he is besides gorgeous!

Thank you. Forsteni is what they usually call this species. The shell I think getting longer when they get older.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Yellow Turtle said:
Benjamin said:
Very nice. They are my favorite.

Thank you Benjamin. These are from my country, but looks like you have already success breeding this :D

Yes, he does. No secret they're his favorite, either!

lori12386 said:

Species Name is Indotestudo forstenii. Common Name is either Forsten's Tortoise or Sulawesi Forest Tortoise.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
lori12386 said:

Species Name is Indotestudo forstenii. Common Name is either Forsten's Tortoise or Sulawesi Forest Tortoise.
[/quote]

Thanks! Im not good with the actual species names! Still new at this! Lol

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
What a beautiful enclosure! I must admit, I love them too, but unfortunately, I don't have any yet.. But, my wife likes them, so I basically have the green light for the future.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Anthony P said:
What a beautiful enclosure! I must admit, I love them too, but unfortunately, I don't have any yet.. But, my wife likes them, so I basically have the green light for the future.

Thanks Anthony.

You maybe able to buy some from Benjamin in the future :D

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Yellow Turtle said:
Anthony P said:

Thanks Anthony.

You maybe able to buy some from Benjamin in the future :D

I think you might have ESP or something! I've been talking to him about them for months, including just a few hours ago.. You're good!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Anthony P said:
I think you might have ESP or something! I've been talking to him about them for months, including just a few hours ago.. You're good!

Lol at my poor english, I just woke up about 1 hour, read this and was still wondering what ESP was and finally remembered the meaning.

Well, good luck!!! I'm really happy if more people own this species as long as they are CB. I saw Benjamin's works and appreciate them :)

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Below picture has low resolution, but I plan to buy left and center ones next month. They are currently 8 cm SCL. Trying to book them now from the seller.

forsteni.jpg

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Yellow Turtle said:
Below picture has low resolution, but I plan to buy left and center ones next month. They are currently 8 cm SCL. Trying to book them now from the seller.

forsteni.jpg
Are those WC animals?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
According to the seller, they are captive breed. I was offered by another seller before also a CB hatchling, around 4-5 cm SCL.
I see several people sometime sell adult size forsteni in the online market in small quantity like 1 - 2 torts. I have no idea whether they are WC or CB, but usually the ones sold are already long term captive torts and should be easy to adapt in captivity.

The WC forsteni are easier to recognize from the shells if they are on sell. The shells are usually not as smooth as CB ones and they are usually sold in bulk like 3 - 10 torts at the same time. Here is a picture sample of WC forsteni being offered for sell below.
WCForsteni.jpg

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Yellow Turtle said:
According to the seller, they are captive breed. I was offered by another seller before also a CB hatchling, around 4-5 cm SCL.
I see several people sometime sell adult size forsteni in the online market in small quantity like 1 - 2 torts. I have no idea whether they are WC or CB, but usually the ones sold are already long term captive torts and should be easy to adapt in captivity.

The WC forsteni are easier to recognize from the shells if they are on sell. The shells are usually not as smooth as CB ones and they are usually sold in bulk like 3 - 10 torts at the same time. Here is a picture sample of WC forsteni being offered for sell below.
WCForsteni.jpg
I can only imagine how unhappy those tortoise are to be housed together. They are very solitary tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.