My first phayrei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gila-91

5 Year Member
Now that I am settling in with my new phayrei I thought I would share some pictures. She is about 8 to 9 inches SCL. As a temporary home I am keeping her in a 5 foot diameter Rubbermaid watering trough with about 6 inches of bark and soil that I keep moist. I have the drain hole open so water doesn't build up. There is a hide in there for her as well (which she uses most of the day).

The tub is under the shade of a large pin oak and a Chinese pistache, but does get some direct sun for short periods in the morning and late afternoon/evening. I am planning a more permanent and secure enclosure in the yard, but am still working out the details. I am hoping to set something up like Yvonne has. I bring her inside to my reptile room when I go to bed as her current enclosure isn't secure and I have lost aquatic turtles to raccoons in the past.

There is a cat litter pan buried to the brim that I keep filled with water for her to drink/soak, and I trimmed up a rubber shower mat and put it in the bottom to ensure she has enough traction to be able to get out easily. I give her a good soak every morning before putting her in the outside enclosure. She has a good appetite and I give her a pile of greens (escarole, kale, dandelion greens, etc.) along with a little shredded sweet potato or squash and a small handful of soaked mazuri tortoise diet. I also sprinkle with a little Miner-all outdoor formula for calcium.

MEP001_zps3e5f0ff1.jpg

MEP002_zps07b645da.jpg

MEP19_zps5332b291.jpg

Here she is climbing out of her tub after a soak.

MEP003_zps7d439ee3.jpg

I keep calling her "she" as I showed these picture to Vic and he said it looks like a girl. I also just love the spurs.

MEP004_zps7336bbcd.jpg

MEP005_zpsc3d9a4ee.jpg

I've been fascinated with this species for many years, but she is the first I have had any direct contact with. She is pretty shy at this point. I haven't been able to get her to take any food from my hand, though she does seem to look up at me when I am nearby.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Congratulations. She is pretty. Can't wait till mine 2 will get to 8". Try showing her a nightcrawler. She may just surprise you. She may also show you just how fast they can move if they want, despite their slow animated demeanour.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
One of my more enjoyable species to work with.

gila-91

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, I'm really excited to have her. I can't wait to get her more permanent enclosure built. I weighed her last night and she is just over 5 pounds.

I will have to try night crawlers soon. I also ordered some super worms to see what she thinks of those. She really loves the Mazuri tortoise diet, but I am going easy on that and keeping the bulk of her diet as greens and other veggies. I also tried the Zoomed forest tortoise diet (both soaked and dry), but for some reason she won't touch it.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: My first phayrei

gila-91 said:
Thanks everyone, I'm really excited to have her. I can't wait to get her more permanent enclosure built. I weighed her last night and she is just over 5 pounds.

I will have to try night crawlers soon. I also ordered some super worms to see what she thinks of those. She really loves the Mazuri tortoise diet, but I am going easy on that and keeping the bulk of her diet as greens and other veggies. I also tried the Zoomed forest tortoise diet (both soaked and dry), but for some reason she won't touch it.

Super warms are not the best nutrition wise. I stick to nightcrawlers. Mine won't eat zoomed forest tortoise diet on its own due to rough grass fiber, they spit it out.
Here is a good recipe: 40% weeds (plantain mostly, dandelion, clover), 20% oyster mushroom, 20% cooked sweet potatoes, 20% zoomed tortoise forest diet. Chop finely all ingredients and mesh with sweet potato and zoomed. Start with lower % of zoomed, increase with time. They go nuts for it, scraping the plate clean.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

gila-91

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I was figuring the super worms would be an occasional treat at most (assuming she even likes them). I keep a lot of other reptiles so I always gutload "bugs" so that will help with the nutrition aspect. I will also definitely try the nightcrawlers.

gila-91

5 Year Member
Thanks again everyone.

I happened to catch her taking a drink this afternoon, thought it was a funny shot.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378616218.226395.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.