My homemade enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherman20

5 Year Member
image.jpg

Hi, just thought I'd share my new tortoise enclosure. I made it out of old laminate flooring, which is cheap and easy to work with.

Half of the substrate is sawdust (I have rabbits, so I have a large supply) the other half is a 50/50 mix of sand and soil which is always kept moist.

The only problem I have is that he rarely (never) digs or sleeps in the soil - always in the sawdust. Why do you think this is? I thought he would prefer soil.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sherman20, and welcome to the Forum!

What kind of tortoise do you have?

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Welcome! What kind of tortoise is this for? Myself and others on the forum aren't huge fans of any sand in the enclosure. It can cause impaction and irritate the eyes and skin. My 3 major concerns for this enclosure are: 1) That you won't be able to keep the humidity up. 2) The heat lamp looks to close to the tortoise (what is the temp under the light?) and 3) It seems much too small for a tortoise that will most likely outgrow it very quickly.

Your tortoise prefers the sawdust because its easier to burrow in. What kind of sawdust is it? I also know some woods can be toxic to tortoises. I'd strongly recommend switching to Coco fiber/coir and/or cypress mulch.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
What kind of light is it? If it's just a basking bulb you'll need a UVB source.

I also think it looks really close, but I guess it depends on the wattage. I currently have a 75 watt about 14 inches above the substrate and it gets the ground directly below around 100 degrees.

Sherman20

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome, and your replies. Our tortoise (Sherman) is a 1 year old, Russian horsfield.

I said 50/50 sand but to be fair it is probably about 80 percent soil, and the rest is sand and calcium stuff. So do you think if I took away the sawdust and put in more mix, he would be happy enough to dig and sleep in the soil?

The light is basking/uv and is only 60w, so I thought it would ok being a bit closer, especially since the temps are only 80 directly below it. What do yous think though?

With regards to the size, I think it is adequate for the time being.

In terms of humidity, this is where I find tortoise forums to be a bit hypocritical. I was informed not to by a vivarium because they don't allow for proper ventilation or deep enough substrate. And with him being a Russian tortoise should the humidity not be low anyway?

Thanks again.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think it's decent build. If you are like most of us it's just a matter of time until you upgrade your tort. Alot of us never seem to be "done" with our enclosures.

I think taking out the sawdust and adding more mix like you said would do the trick. You may want to stir it up occasionally to keep it loose also. I do that every day with my dirt otherwise it packs pretty tight and I like the "fluffy dirt" look ;)

I don't have a russian BUT as far as I know a russian doesn't need high humidity and an open top enclosure will suit them fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.