My latest feeding experiment

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
As I have mentioned in other threads we own 3 parrots , all the other bird owners here know how they eat. Anyway my wife said "why don't you put some of these uneaten bird seeds in Speedy's outside enclosure ?" So I did , and didn't really even need to water it since I keep it very moist due to our Arizona heat . I had all kinds of cool green shoots popping through my bark this morning , and Speedy cruised right over there and started munching them as soon as I set him down ! I started another spot in the hopes it will pop through before he finishes these off . So all you bird people can start seed recycling if you want . :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What? No pics? Sheesh… C'mon.

I feed my birds pellets and assorted mixed greens and fruits. I don't think it would be good for my tortoise to eat whatever sprouted out of that mixture… :D

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
What? No pics? Sheesh… C'mon.

I feed my birds pellets and assorted mixed greens and fruits. I don't think it would be good for my tortoise to eat whatever sprouted out of that mixture… :D

So do I , but I feed the fruits and veggies in a separate what we call "soft foods" dish , and my wife has volunteered to pick out any pellets so I think I have a never ending supply of "tort safe" seed .

3birds.jpg
Playground-1.jpg

restin.jpg
You mean like this ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love birds or Quakers. They look like both. Beautiful birds though. I had hung wild bird feeders in my yard at my old place a few years back and sure enough all kinds of weeds from it started growing. At that time I had no torts so I got rid of the feeders and stopped feeding the wild birds. Who'd of thunk it that a few years down the road I wouldn't have minded the weeds growing.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Love birds or Quakers. They look like both. Beautiful birds though. I had hung wild bird feeders in my yard at my old place a few years back and sure enough all kinds of weeds from it started growing. At that time I had no torts so I got rid of the feeders and stopped feeding the wild birds. Who'd of thunk it that a few years down the road I wouldn't have minded the weeds growing.

Thanks , that's pretty close the bigger guy is an Indian Ringneck they are a breed of Asian parrot . The little ones are Parrotlets , they are really a little smaller than lovebirds , they are said to be the smallest parrots in the world , and their closest relatives are Amazon parrots .
You are right about bird seed , a little wheat , barley , oats and millet and a lot of weeds so its got to be good Tort food ! :tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought ring necks had rings around their necks? So hard to tell size in a pic. The larger blue one looks just like a blue Quaker I'd seen and never new of. I used to have a green one. Beautiful birds you have

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hehe

I had a green male. Beautiful bird and awesome temperament too.

To talk about the original topic though...hehe..
I have 2 bird feeders in my backyard. The grass beneath them has sprouted with all sorts of things because of the fallen seed. I expected my tortoise to go after them and enjoy the sprouts, too. But he hasn't yet... 1 year in the yard and he still hasn't taken advantage of the whole thing.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Only the males ;)

Right you are only the males have a ring , and it takes at least a year and up to 3 for it to fully develop . That was an early pic , this one is about a month old and I can finally say he is a male for sure ! :) They are about the same size as a Quaker .

100_7252.jpg

Last edited:

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hehe

I had a green male. Beautiful bird and awesome temperament too.

To talk about the original topic though...hehe..
I have 2 bird feeders in my backyard. The grass beneath them has sprouted with all sorts of things because of the fallen seed. I expected my tortoise to go after them and enjoy the sprouts, too. But he hasn't yet... 1 year in the yard and he still hasn't taken advantage of the whole thing.

He probably has so much other good stuff to eat he doesn't bother with them ! :D

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'm always throwing leftover bird food outside. All sorts of stuff sprouts from it. I'd thought about feeding it to the torts...but we have sooooo many different types of things in the foods we feed each week that I'm not sure it would all be tort safe. I would like to think if it is safe for the birds it would not harm the torts....but....I don't know. Could it really be that simple?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I'm always throwing leftover bird food outside. All sorts of stuff sprouts from it. I'd thought about feeding it to the torts...but we have sooooo many different types of things in the foods we feed each week that I'm not sure it would all be tort safe. I would like to think if it is safe for the birds it would not harm the torts....but....I don't know. Could it really be that simple?

I believe it is, we just have seed and pellets in the seed dish and my wife separates out the pellets . It is just uneaten seed , any fresh foods we give the birds goes in a separate dish. Its not like I am taking them from the bottom of the tray . :D We buy plain seed and ad pellets we don't use the seed mixes with all the hunks of dehydrated fruit junk in it. Since we don't have any grass here , it seems like a viable alternative to me . :)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I believe it is, we just have seed and pellets in the seed dish and my wife separates out the pellets . It is just uneaten seed , any fresh foods we give the birds goes in a separate dish. Its not like I am taking them from the bottom of the tray . :D We buy plain seed and ad pellets we don't use the seed mixes with all the hunks of dehydrated fruit junk in it. Since we don't have any grass here , it seems like a viable alternative to me . :)
Well, I suppose it all makes sense. We have a lot of birds so I wouldn't have time to separate the pellets out but I could just throw the food out where the torts can't get to it and then just cut the sprouts as they grow.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Well, I suppose it all makes sense. We have a lot of birds so I wouldn't have time to separate the pellets out but I could just throw the food out where the torts can't get to it and then just cut the sprouts as they grow.

I know what you mean, she took a little plastic container and put the separated seeds in there. Now when I use some she just picks out enough to keep it full ,so it was only a big job the first time . (say's the guy who didn't do it !) :D So far so good . :)