My light setup. - thoughts?

Legmaker72

Location (City and/or State)
South West Florida
image.jpeg image.jpeg Just getting my enclosure finished for my Margi (7 y/o).
I bought a 8.5 " light fixture from Zoomed and I went with a 100W MV bulb from Flukers.

After setting it up, I noticed that the bulb is pretty deep and stick out pretty far from the fixture. I assume it should be set up in the reflector more. So I'm not sure this is the best combination.
Would like to know your thoughts.
Second, I've been monitoring the barking ground temp with my temp gun. It's anywhere between 105*-108*+.
Seems a bit high?
I have the ability to raise the light only about another 2 1/2".
Not sure if that will ultimately lower the temp enough.

I could not locate a 75W MV bulb....if anyone knows where I can get one, I'd appreciate it.

So, if love to know some thoughts on the fixture/bulb combo, regulating the temp by raising it (not sure it will be enough) and trying to find a lower wattage MV bulb possibly.

Thanks in advance !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to use the 10 to 12" ceramic based fixtures with my MVB. In the several years I've been using MVBs I've only ever bought 100watt bulbs.

It's a lot of trouble, but maybe you can run the MVB only a couple hours during the middle of the day, then use a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb the rest of the day. I don't think they get as hot.

Legmaker72

South West Florida
I like to use the 10 to 12" ceramic based fixtures with my MVB. In the several years I've been using MVBs I've only ever bought 100watt bulbs.

It's a lot of trouble, but maybe you can run the MVB only a couple hours during the middle of the day, then use a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb the rest of the day. I don't think they get as hot.

Thanks for the reply Yvonne,
Unfortunately I don't have the room for a fixture that size in my enclosure. I'm limited on space.
I definitely don't have the ability to change out the bulb in the middle of my work day :)
I may have to go to a incandescent bulb for heat and a seperate UV light, but I was really hoping I could avoid doing that with a MV bulb.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure of the basing temp for your tort, but the 105-108 isn't all that high. I would raise it and see what it reads. My torts usually bask under the outer edge of the light not directly under it. The temps are a little lower there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the reply Yvonne,
Unfortunately I don't have the room for a fixture that size in my enclosure. I'm limited on space.
I definitely don't have the ability to change out the bulb in the middle of my work day :)
I may have to go to a incandescent bulb for heat and a seperate UV light, but I was really hoping I could avoid doing that with a MV bulb.

That bulb is in the wrong fixture, that's all there is too it. If you don't want to get a bigger dome, then put a CHE or regular light bulb in that fixture and add a long tube fluorescent UVB bulb.

Legmaker72

South West Florida
That bulb is in the wrong fixture, that's all there is too it. If you don't want to get a bigger dome, then put a CHE or regular light bulb in that fixture and add a long tube fluorescent UVB bulb.

Looking at the 10" & 12" fixtures, they don't seem to be any deeper though. Just larger in diameter. So the bulb would still stick out past the rim. I'm not sure how that would solve my issue with having a larger diameter fixture. But I may be missing something.

That's why I was wondering if they made a 75W MV bulb or maybe another brand MV is not as tall?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Doesn't matter if the bulb sticks out past the rim of the dome. MVBs will over heat in smaller domes like the one you've got. That is what Yvonne is getting at.

If you can hang an 8" dome, you should be able to hang a 10.5" dome too.

I agree with Barb about raising it up a bit. A couple inches ought to be enough.

Legmaker72

South West Florida
image.jpg
Doesn't matter if the bulb sticks out past the rim of the dome. MVBs will over heat in smaller domes like the one you've got. That is what Yvonne is getting at.

If you can hang an 8" dome, you should be able to hang a 10.5" dome too.

I agree with Barb about raising it up a bit. A couple inches ought to be enough.

Ok, I see what you are talking about regarding the dome diameter now. Thanks for clarifying that Tom.
I will have to see what I can do then about a larger dome. My set up has a narrow top of only 6" deep due to my design, so the light is mounted toward the front edge of the top already and That only leaves about 1/2" of clearance of the dome edge to the corners of the enclosure. That's why I don't think a 10" will fit. Tight clearances.
But, I will have to see what I can figure out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see your issue. You might want to just use a 65 watt flood in your current 8" dome and use a long florescent tube for UV. I like the 12%HO tube from Arcadia. You can mount them 24" away and they still deliver enough UV.

I'd put the 65 watt bulb and a regular florescent tube on a timer for 13 hours a day, and the Arcadia UV tube on a timer for 4-5 hours mid day only. This will simulate the way UV levels rise and fall outside. UV outside is very weak in the morning and late afternoon and strongest mid day. For your regular tube, read the packaging and get one in the 5000-6500 K color range. The more common 2500K bulbs look yellowish.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
You could get a wire cage fixture for mvb.

Legmaker72

South West Florida
I see your issue. You might want to just use a 65 watt flood in your current 8" dome and use a long florescent tube for UV. I like the 12%HO tube from Arcadia. You can mount them 24" away and they still deliver enough UV.

I'd put the 65 watt bulb and a regular florescent tube on a timer for 13 hours a day, and the Arcadia UV tube on a timer for 4-5 hours mid day only. This will simulate the way UV levels rise and fall outside. UV outside is very weak in the morning and late afternoon and strongest mid day. For your regular tube, read the packaging and get one in the 5000-6500 K color range. The more common 2500K bulbs look yellowish.
Can you get the Arcadia tubes in the US? Any specific model recommended? Does the D3+ T-5 model look good. Not being familiar with the bulbs, there are a bunch of options.
Any problem with just using the UV tube or is it necessary to have two types of tubes ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you get the Arcadia tubes in the US? Any specific model recommended? Does the D3+ T-5 model look good. Not being familiar with the bulbs, there are a bunch of options.
Any problem with just using the UV tube or is it necessary to have two types of tubes ?

I get my Arcadia tubes here:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

I use the longest tube that will fit in my enclosure and I buy the ones that come with the reflector hood.