My new enclosure...any advice?

Chris12

Hello. I got my sully 3 weeks ago and have relied heavily on this forum and everyones helpful advice so i would like to thank you. I just finished my new enclosure and would appreciate everyone's feedback / opinions. Buddy has gone from a 10 gallon tank, to a tupperware bin, to a 40 gallon glass tank.... so he really seems like a different tort in his new home bc he's been so active. Since I am limited on space, I added the little loft which he seems to really enjoy climbing and relaxing in. I realize he will outgrow this enclosure pretty quickly, but since I live in Florida my plan is to move him outdoors when he's ready. Please let me know your thoughts, advice, concerns, etc.

Substrate: I used organic top soil, coco coir, sphagnum moss, and orchid bark.
Lights: Thanks Tom!! I have 65 watt flood in the big fixture, a Che in the middle and the reptisun 10.0.
Temps: The little loft stays around 83 degrees, under the loft is 77, the hide under the hill is 83, the log hide is 91, the water bowl is 85, overall temp seen to stay around 88, and the basking rock is 105 - 107
Humidity: still trying to get a more consistent 80%, but been 75-90% depending on misting

Questions:
1) is my basking temp 105-107 to high? I have the fixture to its max height, so should I go w/ less wattage?
2) is my overall temp 88 to high? he seems to spend a lot of time under the loft which is the coolest part of the enclosure 77, is this cool enough?
3) went w/ the topsoil to save a little $, but I have a bunch of coco coir leftover from my glass tank. Should I cover some of the soil w/ the coco coir to maybe help better maintain the humidity?
4) should I be concerned that the UV light is so close to the ramp?

I appreciate your help... Thank you!!
img_2337-jpg.162554
img_2313-jpg.162579
img_2316-jpg.162580
img_2319-jpg.162581
img_2320-jpg.162582
img_2322-jpg.162583
img_2317-jpg.162584

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I like it a lot. I think the basking spot is a bit warm, but given the other temps, I wouldn't lower the wattage. He can sit off to the side. Nice job.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Super nice enclosure. I bet your tortoise is loving his new enclosure. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would lower the basking if possible, but try taking some substrate away and see if that helps. I would waist money on another bulb, like already said, he can sit off to the side, or you can get him outside for a short time each warm day for natural UVB and you won't need that bulb. I would also try to get the over all temp to 80. 88 is a littl high. The enclosure looks great though

Chris12

I would lower the basking if possible, but try taking some substrate away and see if that helps. I would waist money on another bulb, like already said, he can sit off to the side, or you can get him outside for a short time each warm day for natural UVB and you won't need that bulb. I would also try to get the over all temp to 80. 88 is a littl high. The enclosure looks great though
Great.. funny how I never even thought about lowering the rock...thanks!!