My new Galapagos

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I think its great that the Aldabras and Gallops are available for private collections. Unlike the poor Sully's, they are rather rare and expensive, so the purchase is not an impulse, nor do they tend to end up in the hands of people who are not educated and skilled in their care. Of those few I know who have either of those species, they take better care of them and give them more attention and space than in any zoo.

Its really only been in the recent past that private breeders have figured out how to create the right environment for them to mate, and the right process to hatch out and care for the babies. Though the native environments of both of the largest tortoise species in the world are now protected, a natural disaster could change that in a moments time. Private breeders like Aldabraman, and Jason are a great asset to the preservation of the species.

Cute little gallop! Wish you the greatest success with him. It will be interesting to see how he grows. Would love to see a monthly update on gains, to compare with Aladabras.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Jacksonville Zoo bred Aldabras over 30 years ago (first in the US). @Alaskamike said " they take better care of them and give them more attention and space than in any zoo." Seriously, you have to get out to more zoos. It comes down to the keepers and what conduct they are permitted to do within the confines of their employers rules.

We bred Galops at the Philly Zoo where they spend several months inside a smallish concrete enclosure, we couldn't figure out how to keep their snowsuits plugged in for outside time in the snow.

Private breeders are great for sure, I'm both over my career, does that mean I'm better at it now because I'm not doing it in a zoo? Some zoos absolutely suck at some of their animals while excel at others. A few do great with all of their animals, fewer do poor with their whole collection.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Thank Will.
You are correct of course. My experience seeing them in Zoos long ago stuck with me.
Care / breeding / understanding has improved greatly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacksonville Zoo bred Aldabras over 30 years ago (first in the US). @Alaskamike said " they take better care of them and give them more attention and space than in any zoo." Seriously, you have to get out to more zoos. It comes down to the keepers and what conduct they are permitted to do within the confines of their employers rules.

We bred Galops at the Philly Zoo where they spend several months inside a smallish concrete enclosure, we couldn't figure out how to keep their snowsuits plugged in for outside time in the snow.

Private breeders are great for sure, I'm both over my career, does that mean I'm better at it now because I'm not doing it in a zoo? Some zoos absolutely suck at some of their animals while excel at others. A few do great with all of their animals, fewer do poor with their whole collection.

I was wondering about this myself. After all, wasn't it only zoos that could breed the, for quite sometime? I do agree though, some zoos aren't that great, but most have come a long way since I was a kid. Nothing will be them bing in their native home with know fences, but then again, they would all be gone for good if it weren't for those poorly zoos. Always room for improvements though