my new russian

gamera154

Location (City and/or State)
grand terrace ca
so i finally got my tortoise today he's in the indoor enclosure from my other threads its small but its temporary heres a pick of himHNI_0008.JPG

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Congrats! With love and care, your tortoise will be your companion for many wonderful years to come!! :)

gamera154

grand terrace ca
he ate for the first time with me today he had a lunch of rose petals dandilion flower and weed bits some alo-vera and grass

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
You could get Salmonella from all animals theorethically. If you just wash your hands after handling your tort, you'll be fine!

yillt

Cute little tortoise. He looks very happy. I used to be worried about catching salmonella but there is a risk of everything where ever you go. So just wash your hands after handling( which I occasionally forget to do after handling and im still here) but don't take an example from me. ;)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
So cute! They are so easy to love, aren't they? :p Looks like he doesn't mind the occasional soak. You're lucky; my Russian hates the water!

gamera154

grand terrace ca
So cute! They are so easy to love, aren't they? :p Looks like he doesn't mind the occasional soak. You're lucky; my Russian hates the water!
he kinda likes it he's so nice to he's only bit me once but thats what you get when you put your finger in there face while eating:p he's so adorable to i love how he lets me pet him on his head like he's done it his whole life:D

gamera154

grand terrace ca
why dose he poop in his food bowl when i put fresh new weeds,rose petals,grass and lettuce first thing he dose is poop in it makeing me change it so why

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
why dose he poop in his food bowl when i put fresh new weeds,rose petals,grass and lettuce first thing he dose is poop in it makeing me change it so why
I don't know why they do that either. My tortoise usually waits till she's done eating. Then she leaves me a present :-( you can try putting the food on a flat rock.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
He may be trying to file down his beak. Keep a cuttlefish bone or a cactus block in his enclosure. That will give him something to gnaw on while providing extra calcium whenever he needs it. Cuttlefish bones you can easily find in the bird section of pet stores.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
today in the morning i awoke to a surprize my cat(the small one ) was in his enclosure
the reason why is simple its warm
he wasn't botherd as he was in the other bin but i was as she saw me ran out and made the substrate fly everywhere
but then she went to "bask" by an open window so she gets her heat and uv and he gets his heat back(his dally out side time make up for uv)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hmm, I would be very careful with that. I think there have been other members on the forum whose tortoises have been injured by cats. Dogs, definitely.