My new sulcata !

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390419530.792183.jpg currently keeping him in a large glass tank temporarily. Tomorrow I will spend a hefty amount of money just to make sure he's healthy. Any tips and advice ? ImageUploadedByTortForum1390419709.805531.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

erica anne

5 Year Member
My advice is to buy a large Rubbermaid tub for an enclosure. They are relatively inexpensive so when your tortoise outgrows it there isn't a huge investment lost. They sell 50-70 gallon tubs at Home Depot or Walmart. You can even combine two and go larger. I cut holes in the lids for the lighting and this kept humidity up. (Plexiglass would be a fun see through option but is pricey) Also, Home Depot sells the domes for your bulbs and these are inexpensive there as well.

Good substrate is coco coir. You can buy it in blocks and it holds moisture well. After soaking the block it should be damp not soaking wet so squeeze excess water out.

Humid hides can be made out of plastic storage containers. Just cut a door and turn upside down!

My dish for water is a glazed plant saucer and it is inexpensive and easy to clean.

Soaking tub is a dish tub found at Walmart.

A safe outdoor enclosure is recommended for outside time as well...

You don't have necessarily have to spend tons of money to set up a great enclosure for your tort. I am sure more great suggestions are coming your way.

Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of my advice is in a care sheet at the top of the sulcata page.

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
erica anne said:
My advice is to buy a large Rubbermaid tub for an enclosure. They are relatively inexpensive so when your tortoise outgrows it there isn't a huge investment lost. They sell 50-70 gallon tubs at Home Depot or Walmart. You can even combine two and go larger. I cut holes in the lids for the lighting and this kept humidity up. (Plexiglass would be a fun see through option but is pricey) Also, Home Depot sells the domes for your bulbs and these are inexpensive there as well.

Good substrate is coco coir. You can buy it in blocks and it holds moisture well. After soaking the block it should be damp not soaking wet so squeeze excess water out.

Humid hides can be made out of plastic storage containers. Just cut a door and turn upside down!

My dish for water is a glazed plant saucer and it is inexpensive and easy to clean.

Soaking tub is a dish tub found at Walmart.

A safe outdoor enclosure is recommended for outside time as well...

You don't have necessarily have to spend tons of money to set up a great enclosure for your tort. I am sure more great suggestions are coming your way.

Good luck!

I had the idea to get a large Rubbermaid but I was afraid to face problems for basking spot bulbs with the result of a molten Rubbermaid
Thanks!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
The Rubbermaid holds up great with the heat lamps provided they are not too close.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
A 54 gallon Rubbermaid tote at Home Depot is $20. It's the largest my local store carries. It's a very inexpensive way to create a closed chamber.
I have one with a plexiglass top and it's working fabulously.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390495801.540624.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390495815.573116.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

erica anne

5 Year Member
Good point! I forgot to mention that I lined the edges of the cutouts with aluminum foil pretty thoroughly so the lamps did not have direct contact with the plastic lid. Never had an issue with any melting.

I just noticed Elohi's picture. That is exactly what I did with the foil. As a matter of fact, that is the exact tub I used! Looks much prettier with the plexiglass though! [WINKING FACE]