My russian tortoise hates his life!!! HELP

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
UPDATE: I woke up this morning and he was walking around (not digging or even in a corner) so I soaked him, no drinking or pooping. But as soon as I took him out he started eating the food I just put in. This is the first time I actually witnessed him eat!
woo hoo thats just great. see they just take time. so have you decided on a name?

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
He's still not drinking normal though. Should I soak him twice a day until he starts drinking normally when he's in it? I think I like Crush!!

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I like the name crush too. I know that soaking only helps but if it still is stressing him I don't know? if you want to get the attention of a certain person then put an @ before their name. Like @Tom he is the one who did the care sheets and a great guy. Not saying that the others are not great because they are. :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You have water in the enclosure right? I wouldn't soak more than once a day. He is probably drinking when he needs to, as long as water is available. He is a nice looking tortoise. Glad he is coming around for you.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
I read if you leave water in the tank it'll get dirty And he can't get infections. He pooped in his food dish the other day. He's always walking through his food dish.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I read if you leave water in the tank it'll get dirty And he can't get infections. He pooped in his food dish the other day. He's always walking through his food dish.
Yes, the water dish will get dirty. So you clean it, every day. Thats what's required when you keep tortoises. Pooping in the dish is normal. Worrying about infection is something we do when there are open wounds or illness, not for a healthy animal in a well maintained habitat.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If you want your animal to love you, don't have a tortoise. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is an unrealistic expectation that will lead to disappointment. It will tolerate you eventually and show interest, but love...? Not a useful way to think about the relationship.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
This is incorrect. Get a shallow terra cotta saucer, big enough for him to fit in. It will get dirty. Some tortoises are worse than others about this.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
Yes, the water dish will get dirty. So you clean it, every day. Thats what's required when you keep tortoises. Pooping in the dish is normal. Worrying about infection is something we do when there are open wounds or illness, not for a healthy animal in a well maintained habitat.
Thank you! I would change the water every day anyway, water sitting around loses minerals. I just didn't know if "getting dirty" meant just walking through it once.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Thank you! I would change the water every day anyway, water sitting around loses minerals. I just didn't know if "getting dirty" meant just walking through it once.
Poop change right away. A bit of dirt oh well, gross n dirty change. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He can also get more water if you spray some water on to the greens. that way he gets a little more hydration when he's eating. oh and it does hurt when they bite :) but you will live. mine only bit me on purpose once, a couple other times she bit me when I was hand feeding her and my fingers got to close.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
I try to give him one good soak a day. I did it twice today bc this morning he wouldn't drink and I know he's dehydrated from being at the pet store but he keeps trying to get out of the bowl now instead of drinking!
One or two soaks a day is too much-you're freaking the critter out. I know it's frustrating seeing him not drink but the water from a soak is going thru his vents. Less soaks! Just today by the way, discovered a new trick after years-some romaine lettuce got dragged into my tort's little water dish (little-like a diner mini-cup for mayonnaise, etc.) and tort started eating the lettuce that was drenched in water and couldn't help sipping while eating!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have never ever seen my tortoise drink out of his bowl, that's why I took it out. He never even walked through it because it was always clean. However in the outdoor enclosure he does have one. I would soak daily for one week and then 2 to 3 times a week after that. If you do keep a water bowl in there that is fine, but don't worry about never seen him drink out of it. He may or he may not, just keep the substrate a little damp, missed his food with some water, and soak a few times a week.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Moving the water away from the periphery of the enclosure may help to keep it cleaner longer. Torts tend to walk the limits of their enclosures. Putting food/water at the edge invites quick soiling.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Russians are pretty active and will do stuff like that. If he's fixating on corners, cap them off. My Nank is an "interior designer artist" you can put anything in a place and some days things will be completely rearranged. He's also practically climbed up a wall using a tiny step in the wood and a thermometer. That's Russian tortoises for you.
I only rarely catch mine drinking his water, its more of a toilet to him. There was a discussion on here that ended up being about if tortoises poop in their food dish because they know it'll be cleaned. Mine also poops right on it if I don't feed him in a timely enough manner to his standards. And he must climb and trample his pile of food before eating its pretty much a requirement to him lol.
He doesn't "hate his life" he's just adjusting.
I second the one soak a day for now is enough. Dessert tortoises are designed to be able to hold water for long periods of time since water is scare to many,

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
I just fed him kale today bc hell usually at least pick at it and I needed to run to the store to get something he likes more. Literally didn't touch it, just pooped on it when I got home. Haha. I guess that's what he thinks of that.
Russians are pretty active and will do stuff like that. If he's fixating on corners, cap them off. My Nank is an "interior designer artist" you can put anything in a place and some days things will be completely rearranged. He's also practically climbed up a wall using a tiny step in the wood and a thermometer. That's Russian tortoises for you.
I only rarely catch mine drinking his water, its more of a toilet to him. There was a discussion on here that ended up being about if tortoises poop in their food dish because they know it'll be cleaned. Mine also poops right on it if I don't feed him in a timely enough manner to his standards. And he must climb and trample his pile of food before eating its pretty much a requirement to him lol.
He doesn't "hate his life" he's just adjusting.
I second the one soak a day for now is enough. Dessert tortoises are designed to be able to hold water for long periods of time since water is scare to many,