My Russian tortoise seems to be eating her urates

stephenelwood

My Russian tortoise, April, seems to eat her urates. Today she looked as though she was wearing clown makeup around her mouth. I'm wondering is it dangerous and/or unhealthy for her to do this? And if so, any suggestions? she's a juvenile, a little over a year and a half old. Thanks for your time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). A lot of torts will eat their poop. It's something a lot of them do, but I don't like it, so try to clean up the poop more often so it's not there to eat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stephen:

It's quite normal for some tortoises to eat the urates. Not harmful.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you leave a calcium block in the enclosure for the tort to eat when the tort feels the need to?

stephenelwood

ascott said:
Do you leave a calcium block in the enclosure for the tort to eat when the tort feels the need to?

I didn't know I needed to, I ordered a couple just now. I read it's good for their beaks too. Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sure. Also, don't be alarmed if the tort does not pay it much mind or if the tort rams it, stomps it and such....torts will partake of it if they have the need to...so it is good to place in the enclosure for the tort to attend to when they feel the need....:D

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Eating their own wastes is only recycling any parasites they already have so for an individual tortoise it isn't any big deal, if somewhat gross.

As regarding their feces, many herbivores do it as on the 'second pass' a lot of nutrients missed the first time are more easily absorbed.

Yummy!

Doug