Tmwilson47

Location (City and/or State)
Medford, Oregon
My husband's sweet baby shell boy roughly 12-13yrs Russian tortoise
was attacked this morning saturday July 20th, 2024. My mom's dog busted through the gate and did quite a bit of damage and almost killed the poor guy. We are unable to get into the vet for him to be seen until monday 😢😢💔 Is there anything I can do to help him in the meantime? I washed him well under warm water and I applied silver cream to him to help aid healing.He was active and walking around which gives me hope. But poor guy is banged up 😢😢

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240720-211637_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240720-211637_Gallery.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
My husband's sweet baby shell boy roughly 12-13yrs Russian tortoise
was attacked this morning saturday July 20th, 2024. My mom's dog busted through the gate and did quite a bit of damage and almost killed the poor guy. We are unable to get into the vet for him to be seen until monday 😢😢💔 Is there anything I can do to help him in the meantime? I washed him well under warm water and I applied silver cream to him to help aid healing.He was active and walking around which gives me hope. But poor guy is banged up 😢😢
Hello!

I'm sorry that happened. Some "first aid" actions are: flush the wounds with clean water, then clean them with Chlorhexadine solution (dilluted to 0.05%) and apply antibiotic ointment (triple-action creme like Neosporin). Help tortoise to stay hydrated by shallow soaks, if possible. Keep him inside to prevent contamination of the wounds (especially flies). You've done things right, I hope he will be okay.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Silver Sulfadiazene cream is a great antibiotic for reptiles (not sure of the spelling). Can you post a picture of the plastron?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I would take him inside and house him on paper towels or cloth to prevent infection or any flies laying eggs into the food. More photos of the tortoise will help us determine the damage.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So sorry this happened! It unfortunately is too common. Consider yourself part of the statistics now, and tell everyone "Dogs are never to be around Tortoises"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's not a concerning injury, as there's no punctures or blood. The keratin has been scraped off the bone, like a human skinned knee. However, it won't grow back and the exposed bone will probably die. BUT!!! take heart! New keratin and bone will grow UNDER that exposed bone and as it grows that dead bone will pop off. It takes a very long time for this to happen. Expect to see him looking like this for a year or more.