my russian tortoise won't eat

Arismom

Hi! I'm Mandy. I'm 23 and I have always wanted a tortoise so I finally broke down and got one. Did a bunch of research and set up a tank for her that is a bit small until I move out of here next year but Dadwon't give me anymore space for her. Anyway, everything I read made russian tortoises sound like over eaters. Mine barely eats at all! I offer her various types of leafy greens twice a day and she'll eat a tiny bit most days. She does usually eat all of the apple slice I give her about once a week. I just don't know if I am doing something wrong. :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I see that you have been reading. Is the baby hydrated? Water soaks? Is the temperature at least 80 degrees? Remember that they can not digest food very well if their body temp is below 80 degrees. I'm not a Russian expert, but I'm sure someone will soon chime in with ideas for food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mandy, and welcome to the Forum!

When a tortoise is moved to a new environment it stresses them. So they hide and don't eat. This can last a couple of weeks. Just keep putting the tortoise in front of the food dish. Every time you walk by, put him by the food. He will eventually come to realize he's in a safe place.

The most common cause for a tortoise to not eat is that he isn't warm enough. Measure the temperature down on the floor of the habitat. Russian tortoises like it a bit cooler than other species, however, they do need a place where they can warm up their inner core to at least 80F degrees.

I'm assuming that your tortoise was purchased at a pet store? That means he is almost full grown and not a baby, and probably wild caught. Wild caught tortoises are really stressed when they are kept in a small habitat. They are used to having miles and miles of free space in which to wander. I understand your restrictions, but the tortoise doesn't...sorry.

Arismom

She's in a 20 gallon long tank with a uv light and a basking bulb. The substrate is bark tgat the pet store guy pushed on me. Her tank is in the low 80s during the day usually and in the 70s at night. She spends most of her time in the little box she has in the cool end of the tank. We haven't soaked yet butshe has a shallow dish of water in her tank.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
She's in a 20 gallon long tank with a uv light and a basking bulb. The substrate is bark tgat the pet store guy pushed on me. Her tank is in the low 80s during the day usually and in the 70s at night. She spends most of her time in the little box she has in the cool end of the tank. We haven't soaked yet butshe has a shallow dish of water in her tank.
20 gallons is WAY to small the minimum cage for an adult russian is 4ft by8ft. can you please post some pictures of the tort and the enclosure.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Stop feeding apple. RTs are not equipped to digest fruit with all its sugars. The resultant digestive upset puts the animal off its food, except for being attracted to the food that causes the problem.

That's not the only issue, but it's the easiest to fix.

That tortoise can't wait a year for a bigger habitat. Get him a better one, at least 2'x4' for now. You can build a second story with a ramp. A stock tank or a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub works well & isn't expensive. Aquariums are heavy, expensive, and too narrow. Plan on an outdoor summer habitat that is much larger.

What are you using for light & how long does it run? He needs UVB, 12-14 hours a day, then a dark cooler night. What's the basking light? Is the substrate damp?

It's hard to know what advice to take when you first research tortoise care. Pet stores are often the least reliable.

Perhaps this is not the right time for you to have a tortoise yet. Otherwise educate yourself and your dad. There are care sheets on this site, and russiantortoise.net is full of great info, too.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
:tort:A warm welcome to the forum! I've a strong feeling that your tort is not warm enough: don't forget these sweet creatures love very hot weather.Let alone that, they dislike change, so please be patient till your tort adapts to a new environment.