My Sulcata setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaderWS6

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
What do you guys think about my new Sulcata hatchling setup? Also, I have included one of our flower gardens (any of these plants Sulcata friendly?) The three pots outside are all African succulents (Elephant bush, Jade plant, Flapjacks, and something else). I haven't added the Megaray MVB bulb yet (should arrive next week), and for night time heat there is a heating pad under the orange pot (set on a timer for night). The heating pad is under the plastic. I have also planted blue fescue seeds, which should begin growing soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU93E7UMW-8

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
VaderWS6 said:
What do you guys think about my new Sulcata hatchling setup? Also, I have included one of our flower gardens (any of these plants Sulcata friendly?) The three pots outside are all African succulents (Elephant bush, Jade plant, Flapjacks, and something else). I haven't added the Megaray MVB bulb yet (should arrive next week), and for night time heat there is a heating pad under the orange pot (set on a timer for night). The heating pad is under the plastic. I have also planted blue fescue seeds, which should begin growing soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU93E7UMW-8

why sand? i thought everyone was against sand?

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't see how you can create humidity for him. I disagree with having an under tank heat pad for a hatchling. They are not wise enough just yet to know when to get off the pad and therefor have the chance of getting burned, and you run the risk of a deformed plastron for a developing hatchling, their plastrons are still soft at that stage and a heating pad is just bad news. Hatchlings need heat from above not from a pad. What kind of UVB bulb are you getting? I didn't see a hide or is that what those pots are for? Those hides aren't good enough. He can't get in far enough to feel secure when he sleeps. And I don't think it's big enough. In order to prevent pyramiding your baby needs the correct diet, 80% (or so) humidity, good UVB rays and lots of exercise, so I guess the bottom line with me is that I don't like your set up. I do appreciate the care you have taken with it, but I don't think it's right. On straight sand like that you run the risk of impaction if he gets too much sand in when he eats.
I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be rude...but that's my opinion. I think he needs totally different substrate, one that you can keep moist. He needs better heat source and a bigger area for exercise and better hides...

VaderWS6

5 Year Member
Kentucky
maggie3fan said:
I don't see how you can create humidity for him. I disagree with having an under tank heat pad for a hatchling. They are not wise enough just yet to know when to get off the pad and therefor have the chance of getting burned, and you run the risk of a deformed plastron for a developing hatchling, their plastrons are still soft at that stage and a heating pad is just bad news. Hatchlings need heat from above not from a pad. What kind of UVB bulb are you getting? I didn't see a hide or is that what those pots are for? Those hides aren't good enough. He can't get in far enough to feel secure when he sleeps. And I don't think it's big enough. In order to prevent pyramiding your baby needs the correct diet, 80% (or so) humidity, good UVB rays and lots of exercise, so I guess the bottom line with me is that I don't like your set up. I do appreciate the care you have taken with it, but I don't think it's right. On straight sand like that you run the risk of impaction if he gets too much sand in when he eats.
I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be rude...but that's my opinion. I think he needs totally different substrate, one that you can keep moist. He needs better heat source and a bigger area for exercise and better hides...

Thanks for the insight! I didn't know Sulcata's needed much humidity? I was wondering about the sand area myself, i guess i'll mix some potting soil in with it, and maybe add a larger hiding area (maybe a box?). I was planning on keeping the hatchling in this enclosure for the first year, then moving it to a tortoise table which will be much larger (7' x 7'). The heating pad underneith the terrarium just keeps the same warm, not hot. During the day the terrarium will be heated by natural daylight from the sun room, and a Megaray MVB bulb.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
it also looks like your bulb is pointed completely horizontal in that video as well....That's not doing much for your tort, as the basking spot is on the wall, and not accessible. You should get a lamp stand so that the bulb points directly downward. It will also increase the life of your bulb as well.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
When I got my first Sulcata I wasn’t sure how to make an enclosure. Petsmart sold me the sand but when I got home and did a little research online I found out the sand was treated with something that could be toxic to hatchlings. I took it back the same day.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
VaderWS6 said:
Thanks for the insight! I didn't know Sulcata's needed much humidity? I was wondering about the sand area myself, i guess i'll mix some potting soil in with it, and maybe add a larger hiding area (maybe a box?). I was planning on keeping the hatchling in this enclosure for the first year, then moving it to a tortoise table which will be much larger (7' x 7'). The heating pad underneith the terrarium just keeps the same warm, not hot. During the day the terrarium will be heated by natural daylight from the sun room, and a Megaray MVB bulb.

i would take the sand out all together and don't put soil in there - if you must make sure it doesn't have chemicals in it - especially not those little moisture beads
i would put organic mulch - which is not what you get at wal mart - all that stuff is treated and dyed

you have to go to a plant nursery - but its cheap

where do you live? natural sunlight probably won't be enough for the little guy considering RIs are the most common cause of death (right?)

you need heat - these guys like a lot. PLEASE PLEASE do more research.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
There is an identical thread somewhere else I already responded to--confusing. Can we combine them please? Please please ditch the heating pad (it doesn't matter if it isn't hot) and do a lot more research. That tort table may be a great option with part of it blocked off (divide it with a board and use 1/3 or something for now depending on tort size). That container seems too small for the feeding area, water, other cage furnishings, and clearance for the tort to walk around, even for a hatchling. They like to walk around the perimeter of enclosures. Please have a vet lined up and make an appointment the first week you get the tort, and consider an older tort, at least more than a couple months. They are very fragile.

VaderWS6

5 Year Member
Kentucky
BTW chadk, exactly.. :rolleyes:

tortoisenerd said:
There is an identical thread somewhere else I already responded to--confusing. Can we combine them please? Please please ditch the heating pad (it doesn't matter if it isn't hot) and do a lot more research. That tort table may be a great option with part of it blocked off (divide it with a board and use 1/3 or something for now depending on tort size). That container seems too small for the feeding area, water, other cage furnishings, and clearance for the tort to walk around, even for a hatchling. They like to walk around the perimeter of enclosures. Please have a vet lined up and make an appointment the first week you get the tort, and consider an older tort, at least more than a couple months. They are very fragile.

I was actually not going to include a water bowl (just 15 minute soakings 3-5 times a week). Also, would it be ok to feed the tortoise daily in a separate terrarium? I was a bit worried about the Sulcata ingesting pieces of sand/soil while eating. The terrarium is about 40" x 14".

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Your baby should have access to water at all times.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sulcata walk for miles everyday in the wild as they eat and graze. They take a bite here walk some and take another bite. In your tank your baby is going to want to eat some walk some sleep some and eat again, so if you feed him in a separate container you take away that option. I might suggest that you get a bigger rubbermaid tub so he can eat sleep and exercise all in the same container. Also in the wild they live in 20 foot long burrows in which they pee and poop and create about 80% humidity, so that's what I am trying to show you why I suggested he needs humidity. He also needs humidity to prevent pyramiding. He needs exercise, humidity, UVB and a good diet all to make a healthy tortoise and to prevent the dreaded pyramiding. I hope I have helped you some...here's a link to a care sheet...

http://africantortoise.com/

Bob loves his mud bath
rs7k3a.jpg

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
even if he doesn't "eat" in his enclosure he is going to eat what is in his enclosure

percy eats glass foil said pebbles, etc. given the chance.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
tortoisenerd said:

I was actually not going to include a water bowl (just 15 minute soakings 3-5 times a week). Also, would it be ok to feed the tortoise daily in a separate terrarium? I was a bit worried about the Sulcata ingesting pieces of sand/soil while eating. The terrarium is about 40" x 14".
[/quote]

Vader probably better to keep water at all times in the enclosure. Why wouldn't you want to do that? I sometimes feed Dale in my bedroom on the floor so I can watch him eat and he can get some exercise. I too used a heating pad for awhile, but after about a month or so I checked it and it was burning up in one spot and not in the other. I'm so lucky Dale didn't get burned. Just think about it it might not happen to you, but what if it did?

M

Maggie Cummings

Oh and BTW...I'll put my IROC up against your Trans Am any time you're ready...I don't know about all that fancy stuff you have cuz most of those letters mean nothing to me...but I have a brand new pumped up 350 with the speed chip, 12 bolt positrack rear end, Hurst shifter...and I was a professional driver for a lot of years and I'll put my hot rod guided by my expertise up against you and yours any time you feel ready to lose...

2rninbc.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
maggie3fan said:
Oh and BTW...I'll put my IROC up against your Trans Am any time you're ready...I don't know about all that fancy stuff you have cuz most of those letters mean nothing to me...but I have a brand new pumped up 350 with the speed chip, 12 bolt positrack rear end, Hurst shifter...and I was a professional driver for a lot of years and I'll put my hot rod guided by my expertise up against you and yours any time you feel ready to lose...

2rninbc.jpg

Oh my goodness Maggie I never knew that about you. What a nice looking car that is. Is that the one you took the trip to Yvonne's in? Now it all makes sense about the Nascar racing and all. Can't wait to see if Vader takes you up on this. Candy

M

Maggie Cummings

Well...I'm waiting for him to put his shifter where his mouth is...but it looks like we scared him away with my supreme automobile. Yes, this is what I drove to yvonne's. This is the only car I've owned since 1989...
Just in case you're wondering it's a 1989 IROC-Z and it had 200 thousand original Maggie miles on it when I dropped a new 350 and new transmission in it last winter. In 1989 it was stolen off the lot and t-boned a telephone pole 1/2 mile from the dealer. So it was repaired and I bought it as a 'used' car with less than 50 miles on it!
I'll race anybody anytime anywhere...just be waving that pink slip out the window...cuz that's me flyin past you...and my Flomasters you're hearing...

Vader is a student in Lexington Kentucky and he's just ordered his 4.10 gears so he probably doesn't have them yet. He should have saved his money and just gone with GM...

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
maggie3fan said:
Well...I'm waiting for him to put his shifter where his mouth is...but it looks like we scared him away with my supreme automobile. Yes, this is what I drove to yvonne's. This is the only car I've owned since 1989...
Just in case you're wondering it's a 1989 IROC-Z and it had 200 thousand original Maggie miles on it when I dropped a new 350 and new transmission in it last winter. In 1989 it was stolen off the lot and t-boned a telephone pole 1/2 mile from the dealer. So it was repaired and I bought it as a 'used' car with less than 50 miles on it!
I'll race anybody anytime anywhere...just be waving that pink slip out the window...cuz that's me flyin past you...and my Flomasters you're hearing...

Vader is a student in Lexington Kentucky and he's just ordered his 4.10 gears so he probably doesn't have them yet. He should have saved his money and just gone with GM...

are you trying to bully this new person?

we really need to be there to help and guide people. if they are a little less knowledgeable about this stuff than us we especially need to be a little patient and extra helpful so that their tortoise can benefit

this is a forum to help people is it not?

and i really don't see what a car has to do with any of this.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
maggie is being playful. Yes, the car is off topic, but it happens.

He has the advice he needed on his existing questions. When more come up, they will be answered I'm sure :p

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
As for the tortoise, Water dish is always good to have.. but i must admit when i had my greek tortoises i never had a water dish for them and they did fine. you would have to soak them every other day though and you wouldnt be able to miss a day because they do dehydrate fast.. i use to mist my food with water too so they can have extra water from there food on the days i didnt soak them.. again never had a problem, but i also dont recommend it just because if you could have a water dish mine as well. My greeks were way young and small and every water dish i had was way to big and they would flip so i just didnt have one.. i did put one in though once i was sure they wouldnt flip and sutff for some reason those 3 greeks loved to flip, as for the car thing, i dont even know where that came from, lol.. nice car though... Hopefully though this guy doesnt take it to serious and will come back and will take some advice, because i really hate seeing new people leave after opening their first thread, not good for the community, and never know some of the new people actually know a lot and are just new to the forums or came from different forums...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really nice car Maggie :)
Wow it must be amazing to drive it :D. I will show the picture to my fiance tonight, I am sure he is going to be jealous :D, he lovesss cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.