My tortoise ate goat droppings....

Status
Not open for further replies.

terribrown71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Tx
Im staying at my mom and dad's farm in texas and let Arthur take his daily walks around the place with me. My dad has a goat named Angel so there is droppings around. Well, Arthur was caught eating some...now I have to keep relocating him in different spots cause he eats them like there pez candy :p Will this hurt him? He's a 3 yr old sulcata and full of personality.. any info would be great. Thanks

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
It's not uncommon for them to eat poop they find. You are the first to talk about goat poop though. It isn't preferred because you don't know what the goat may have eaten or if it has diseases or medicines. However, I wouldn't freak out here. Just try to avoid letting him eat it (if possible) while you are staying there and it should be fine. They eat worse stuff in the wild. :D

terribrown71

5 Year Member
Arlington, Tx
Thanks Greg...that helps. He seems to be like a child in that he gets into everything he's not supposed to...he's so fun though!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
My Cooper use to eat his poop when I first got him, but I keep him fed well enough now that he don't even give it a second thought now thank god! But if I take him outside he will look for things to eat, last timehe grabed up a little rock so now I have to watch him for that! Silly sullys!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Terri:

The goat probably eats the same things the tortoise is supposed to eat, so there isn't much danger in it unless the goat has been de-wormed. Some de-worming medications are toxic to tortoises.

Some feel it may be beneficial as it adds good bacteria to the tortoise's intestinal tract.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you are worried you can run a fecal check when you get home.

terribrown71

5 Year Member
Arlington, Tx
He eats fresh grass and various greens every morning (think he's part pig) but he gets outside and eats like I never feed him....he also gets an afternoon snack after doing all that running around. Huge appetite this one!!!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
My wife wants a goat, good to know that his poop will be safe (sorta) around my Sulcata's

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Mediterranean tortoises are known to eat goat droppings in their native habitat. Can be nutritious, although they might pick up parasites. Keep an eye on him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would worry about parasites, but I would not worry day and night, I am unsure how well cross species type of parasites do, I know they are usually species specific, to be honest the title of this thread sounds like a nursery rhyme. "there once was a woman who swallowed a fly"

Status
Not open for further replies.