Tortoise ate some bleeding heart

Hayes Johnson

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
I was taking my tortoise for a walk and I notice he had started eating some bleeding heart. I pulled it out of his mouth but a little was still in there and he ate it. It was only 1 flower so he only probably got about 1/3 of a flower. Do you think he is ok? I put him in his bath so that he could drink some water to flush it out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know that any of us here have ever had this experience. Time will tell. Let us know. Daily soaks for a couple of months won't hurt anything.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I was taking my tortoise for a walk and I notice he had started eating some bleeding heart. I pulled it out of his mouth but a little was still in there and he ate it. It was only 1 flower so he only probably got about 1/3 of a flower. Do you think he is ok? I put him in his bath so that he could drink some water to flush it out.

I have not first hand experience with this plant (plant family)...however, I see that all indications about a hazard is "in large quantities"....so, while I would also soak the tort a bit more that usual, I also would offer high water content lettuce to help aid in ridding as much as possible from the tort for the next week or so....

Hayes Johnson

Seattle
I have not first hand experience with this plant (plant family)...however, I see that all indications about a hazard is "in large quantities"....so, while I would also soak the tort a bit more that usual, I also would offer high water content lettuce to help aid in ridding as much as possible from the tort for the next week or so....

Ok! Thanks for your help. He seems totally fine now.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Form The Tortoise Table: "Contains isoquinolone alkaloids that are toxic to cattle and horses and can cause skin irritation in humans, so best avoided in tortoises."